Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

to all who had to cut your front shock in half

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default to all who had to cut your front shock in half

Im swapping my front shocks out and I just cut my front shock in half because of the rusty nut. I cant get the top mount off of the top half of the shock. is it supposed to slide off or is there a trick to it.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Restricted User

The nut is a bitch of course. But in my case, even after I got the nut off the shock cup wouldn't budge. Nothing we did could get it to move. I took it to STS and they ended up having to cut it off. I got a new one through carquest for $48.

You may have to do the same.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I had to blast the nut off with a big impact gun but it messed up the threads. I then let the upper shock mount and the inset rubber piece soak in PB Blaster for a few days. It eventually came free. It just sits in the upper shock mount.

You may want to slather that entire upper shock mount area in anti-seize or a quality water-proof thick grease to reduce future corrosion. It's a common problem.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

You're not alone. I soaked one of mine in PB blaster for three days, still wouldn't budge. So I used an angle grinder and cut an X in the nut, used a hammer and chisel to beat that off. Shock still wouldn't come out. I got heated and pulled out the sledge and absolutely destroyed the damn thing. It still hasn't come apart..I want to make a lamp out of it but I'm afraid it's going to budge on it's own and blow a whole in my roof the first day I have it in the house. lol...
Old 07-08-2007, 06:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get 5" metal cut disc and use grinder cut rod under coil. what I done with stuck with the nuts. It works well..Be careful with coil would throw away fast after cut off the rod.
I just install new Koni SA and GC Coilover.

Good Luck..
Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt have any problems with the nut that came right off, but my mount was rusted fast to the shaft, I ended up buying new ones.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sawzall is the ****, i had to cut the rear one off, im havign a shop do the fronts