Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QA1 Questions

I have a 2001 Transam with a 6.0 liter block(Steel Block) with a front mounted turbo kit with the front bumper still on the car.

My question is i bought QA1 "R" Series Shocks and 300lb front springs.How many inches front the very last thread on the bottum of the shock upwards do i need to to go for the weight i have.My friend said he has his 5" inches from the very last thread to the bottum of the black nut on the shock.

How high should i go with the shocks with the steel block and the turbo kit?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Put'em on and see, its going to be different for different vehicles...

Last edited by SuperC1; 08-21-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah if you think about how the cars are made and then the way the cars suspension is, there really isn't a science to putting the QA1s in...I put mine in yesterday, you just pop them in and adjust them, I just took my time. I can't tell you much else, except to get the thrust washer kit and the right spanner wrench!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Teching In

I have them set at 5" right now and thats from the very last thread to the bottum of the black lip on the bottum nut.So i guess ill just do what you said and just take my time and adjust them right.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Turbo Ram Air
I have them set at 5" right now and thats from the very last thread to the bottum of the black lip on the bottum nut.So i guess ill just do what you said and just take my time and adjust them right.

I put them on at 5" way top low im raising them as we speak to 7" and seeing how i go from there.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

don't mean to hi-jack this thread... but i just put qa1's in with stock springs and bmr spring cups... using the spanner wrench to adjust height is extremely difficult, feels like the nuts are cross threaded but i know they are not. Wondering what everyone elses experiences are. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:42 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nikon1999
don't mean to hi-jack this thread... but i just put qa1's in with stock springs and bmr spring cups... using the spanner wrench to adjust height is extremely difficult, feels like the nuts are cross threaded but i know they are not. Wondering what everyone elses experiences are. Thanks!
Hopefully you have the spring compressed while you're trying to adjust it... you didn't mention that. It would not be hard to crossthread them, so you might wanna look at that.

I adjusted mine off the car and got it pretty much dead on the first time, so I didn't have to adjust. The wrenches that come with the shocks are pretty crappy, also... I measured the old shocks and just matched the distance for the spring cup on the new ones.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so you have to take the shock/spring assembly out to change height? or just have a something under the a-arm so its compressed at ride height?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nikon1999

I did mine in the car,First were gloves cause the spanner wrenches take a toll on your hands,Second it shoudnt be that hard i have the 300lb springs in my car and it took a lil bit but i finished it last night.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Woah wait a sec............you don't have to put a spring compressor on those things to adjust them up. You have to order the thrust bearing kit and the CORRECT spanner wrench set, the little yellow one DOES NOT WORK!!!! NO WAY NO HOW! Get their good set that has three teeth cut in them and the thrust bearing kit. They will adjust up just fine especially if you take a little bit of weight off of the wheel with a floor jack. You can measure them like you are doing, from the bottom of the lock nut to the very bottom of the tapered bottom under the threads I am at about 7 inches. The best way is to measure the shock length like the QA1 manual says. The R s are supposed to be at like 15 1/4" I think but the manual has a picture on the back of where to take measurements from. Good luck! Oh and don't forget QA1 reccomends slathering lithium grease on the threads to adjust them!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Teching In

i have the QA1 r-series and wanted to know what is the softest setting. i did not see it in the manual.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evilz28
i have the QA1 r-series and wanted to know what is the softest setting. i did not see it in the manual.
If you have the R-series 1 is the loosest rebound setting, compression dosn't change at all, its hard all the time.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SuperC1
its hard all the time.
It's the creepy uncle of shocks