Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How exactly do you measure a swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How exactly do you measure a swaybar?

Alright guys I see everybody saying they have 32mm sway bars etc. My rear sway bar is blue and I don't see a name on it anywhere so I don't know if its aftermarket or a powdercoated stocker. For sure it is not just painted. So what exactly do I measure to see if its stock or not?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just look at another stick F=Body and see if they're the same thickness. A micrometer would be more accurate, but, you could prob use a cloth tape measure like granny uses for sewing.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy way is to put a cressent (sp?) wrench over it snuggly, remove the wrench and measure the opening w a tape measure or ruler. You want the diameter, not the circumfrance(sp?) -->which is what the cloth tape would give you(so don't do that unless you want to do some math).
Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Easy way is to put a cressent (sp?) wrench over it snuggly, remove the wrench and measure the opening w a tape measure or ruler. You want the diameter, not the circumfrance(sp?) -->which is what the cloth tape would give you(so don't do that unless you want to do some math).
The question was to be able to determine if it was a stocker or not. Putting a cloth tape around another stokcone and making the circumference would tell you. With a crsecent. It would be difficult to determine 2-3 mm difference. That's hardly ant difference at all and every crscent I have ever seen has a slight amount of play. that's why I stated a micrometer for precise diameter measurement. Based on the question asked, I stand by my answer 100%.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

micrometer.

they're not as expensive as they used to be
Old 07-09-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Just put a caliper to your swaybar to measure the diameter in millimeters (same concept subtleZ was talking about).

Oh, and when people say they have a 32mm swaybar, they are talking about the front bar, not the rear. That would be way too big for your rear swaybar. If it's stock, it will be 19mm, otherwise it is aftermarket.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
The question was to be able to determine if it was a stocker or not. Putting a cloth tape around another stokcone and making the circumference would tell you. With a crsecent. It would be difficult to determine 2-3 mm difference. That's hardly ant difference at all and every crscent I have ever seen has a slight amount of play. that's why I stated a micrometer for precise diameter measurement. Based on the question asked, I stand by my answer 100%.
Yeah, you are correct in that he could measure a stock one the same way, to see if they are the same. No arguement there.

I just assumed that he was needing diameter to compare to specs listed on here or elsewhere.

And definately a micrometer or caliper would be the best way. And yeah, they are getting cheap. I just picked one up at a lumber yard for like $10. I just assumed (again) that he didn't have one, or he wouldn't be asking this question. You can get a fairly accurate reading w/ the wrench method (and most people have a wrench and tape measure in thier tool box).
Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The popular junk yard method of measuring a swaybar is using an open end wrench. With older cars, it is a quick way to figure our an 11/16 bar from a 15/16 or 1 1/8.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! So I just measure the diameter of the bar. Thats cake! I been doing that since junior high school. Time to find out if I have a aftermarket sway bar!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

... drum roll .... and he has ?????? tah-dah?????
Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

i hate when threads end before the punch line. ;(

Quick Reply: How exactly do you measure a swaybar?