Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

getting a bad vibration.. any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default getting a bad vibration.. any ideas?

When I'm on the highway going 65+ I am getting this steady vibration that I can feel all througout the car. I can feel it in my seat, I can feel it pulsing through the steering wheel. And its kind of wierd, i look over at my passenger seat and it is shaking violently and making an annoying noise thats how bad this is. I had this vibration before when I installed a polyurathane trans mount in the car but i took it out and put in a brand new oem unit and then the vibration stopped. Just recently after doing a WOT run, the vibration is back and I really hope its not the trans mount again because i've gone through 3 of those now. Could this be suspension issue possibly? It doesn't have a noiticeable vibration at lower speeds. Thank you for any helf if there's any other info you need just ask.

- Robby
Old 07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

It could be a tire(s) out of balance.
Or a damaged tire (might be on the inside).

If you get the wheels/tires rebalanced, get it done at a place that does a road force balance. You'll get a more accurate balance and it can tell you if there is a defect in the tire.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine did the same, tire went to $hit when some bone-head put fix-a-flat in it
ended up buying new tires and all is well
Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

tires.

beat up the punk who balanced them
Old 07-10-2007, 01:13 AM
12 Second Club

you guys may be right. I did just recently in the same time frame get a pair of Eagle F1s (P275-40R-18) installed on for the rears and were balanced. This was at a small tire shop that didn't look like they had the best equipment to use maybe this had something to do with the problem. Thanks for the tip guys, I will check this out.

On another note, I don't know if these two things are related, but my left side rubs like a ************ even on the slightest bump in the road. Any ideas? These tires aren't that big..

Thanks for the help so far I really appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

mine did the same, got new rims and tires and still does it a lil. Might wanan chekc your driveshaft/ U joint. I herd U joints can cause this too
Old 07-10-2007, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

How would you go about checking the u-joints and such? Feeling for play, misalignment, worn-out areas?

Been trying to describe this vibration better. it seems like there's always shaking present, but it comes in a steady "wave" pattern. If you hold onto the steering wheel you will feel a wave of heavier vibration every other second almost as if there is a terrible balance issue somewhere. So far this could tires and u-joints, correct? Any other Possible places to check before I jack it up?

one last thing. This began happening after a WOT run when I let off the vibration started all of the sudden so couldn't that rule out the possibility of tires? Seems like I might of broke something in the twisting of the suspension/chassis as it jerked really hard when I took off. Or possibly threw something off in the driveshaft area.. Just trying to make sense of the situation here!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe something in the driveline. Mine was the D/S safety loop too close to the tunnel/exhaust/driveshaft. Used my most successful methodology ... a 5 pound mini-sledge ... no more vibration.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob98LS1
How would you go about checking the u-joints and such? Feeling for play, misalignment, worn-out areas?

Been trying to describe this vibration better. it seems like there's always shaking present, but it comes in a steady "wave" pattern. If you hold onto the steering wheel you will feel a wave of heavier vibration every other second almost as if there is a terrible balance issue somewhere. So far this could tires and u-joints, correct? Any other Possible places to check before I jack it up?

one last thing. This began happening after a WOT run when I let off the vibration started all of the sudden so couldn't that rule out the possibility of tires? Seems like I might of broke something in the twisting of the suspension/chassis as it jerked really hard when I took off. Or possibly threw something off in the driveshaft area.. Just trying to make sense of the situation here!
you could have thrown a weight off the wheel if it started after a WOT run, and the way you describe the "wave" of heavier/lighter/heavier/lighter vibrations, it sounds like possibly more than one wheel had a weight thrown. if the outside diameter of the two wheels is even slightly different (due to wearing/inflation differences), when the off-balance is in the same position on both wheels, it will be heavier, and when the off-balance is off-synch, it won't be as bad.

think of it like a company of soldiers marching across a suspension bridge. if they all march in synch, the force of everyone's foot hitting the ground at the same time can cause the bridge to shake/sway....but if they all walk to their own pace, everything is OK.

get your tires re-checked to make sure they're still balanced. and make damn sure they stick the weights on good this time if some are missing. also, take a look at them, and if any of the wheels have what seems like excessively more weight on it than the others, have them remove all the weight and rotate that tire 90° on the wheel at a time, then re-balance it again, until it balances with less weight.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
you could have thrown a weight off the wheel if it started after a WOT run, and the way you describe the "wave" of heavier/lighter/heavier/lighter vibrations, it sounds like possibly more than one wheel had a weight thrown. if the outside diameter of the two wheels is even slightly different (due to wearing/inflation differences), when the off-balance is in the same position on both wheels, it will be heavier, and when the off-balance is off-synch, it won't be as bad.

think of it like a company of soldiers marching across a suspension bridge. if they all march in synch, the force of everyone's foot hitting the ground at the same time can cause the bridge to shake/sway....but if they all walk to their own pace, everything is OK.

get your tires re-checked to make sure they're still balanced. and make damn sure they stick the weights on good this time if some are missing. also, take a look at them, and if any of the wheels have what seems like excessively more weight on it than the others, have them remove all the weight and rotate that tire 90° on the wheel at a time, then re-balance it again, until it balances with less weight.

thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it! That does make sense I hadn't thought about that. Off to Les Schwab I go!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
Somebody's been watching Mythbusters...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

I think that it would be a out of balance DS or a u joint. That sounds just like the vibration I had. When I went to a new stronger DS, the vibration went away. Seems like if it was a wheel ballance the car would shake a little not have a pulsing vibration. My car used to do it when I got up to 75 or 80.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Somebody's been watching Mythbusters...
lol.....i had actually heard about that before that episode....but yeah, Mythbusters is great. i love it when they don't get the explosion they want, they just keep on until they do.....
Old 07-15-2007, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

found out that i have worn panhard rod bushings, could this be a potential culprit of a vibration?

***still lookin for the problem, will update this post as i find out. **

Last edited by Rob98LS1; 07-19-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 AM
12 Second Club

Lookin like I may have had some weights fall out of one of my wheels according to a mechanic, and is causing a vibration. we'll see after i get my tires balanced. just had to update.

Quick Reply: getting a bad vibration.. any ideas?