Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Offset bushings- max camber ZERO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strano Offset bushings- max camber ZERO?

What In the world can be happening with my '01 Camaro? Or is it Me? 26" front fender ride height with GC/KONI and Sam's offset bushings. Took it for alignment today and after the shop had it OFF the rack they tell me all they could get is 0 degrees camber. They set caster at 4.5 with zero toe. Does caster adjustment negate camber with fourth gens? I'm extrordinarily disappointed to say the least. A previous alignment (same mech, same shop) at 25" ride height and stock bushings resulted in 1.9 and 2.0 degrees neg camber. I'm confused.
TB
Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is messed up! Did they install the bushings backward?
Taking away neg camber rather than gaining neg?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Teching In

I put them in so I know they are right. I was concerned that they somehow rotated, but I did drill and tap the securing screw. Something's def wrong somewhere.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, that sucks. Hopefully Sam will chime in. I'm very curious to see whats up here. Please update when you figure out for sure.

I'm looking for a little more neg camber myself (my max is -1.2).
Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Teching In

i need to call sam
Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

@ 26" I have around -1.7, and some folks have a full -2.... Even if the bushings were in backwards, that's about a 1/2 degree change, and my car stock got about -.8....

Either they are idiots and/or the machine is hugely out of calibration. I've NEVER seen a completely stock 4th gen not be able to get at least *some* negative camber.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock I managed -.9, but the passenger LCA could go way further, and the driver LCA was maxed out.. yay GM.

I would take it to another shop and see whats up.

Where are you located?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Teching In

I'm located in Turbotville PA. Conveniently about two hours from Sam's front door. As far as calibration is concerned, I don't know who's further out of wack the Mechanic or the machine. PITA but he's 500 feet from my door. THis is just ONE of the reasons I like to do things myself. I didn't want to jump to conclusions, without some others advice. Thanks for the Help. A long time ago Sam offered up his Alignment guy, so I may have to have to re-visit that offer if he's still willing. Despite the drive.
Thanks everyone!
TED B.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I didn't realize that was you Ted.... Sorry. I don't recall having seen your car in a positive camber state before, so I'm wondering how it is now. The bushings are definitely in so that they effective shorten the upper a-arm? I'm sure they are, just checking since someone swore they had them right last week..... and didn't.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Bushings are indeed correct. The lower control arms are "hubbed out" according to the alignment guy. I didn't check yet myself though. He set caster at around 5 degrees. Does setting caster first negate neg camber? THat I don't know. My corded street tires tell me that I had a lot of neg camber prior to taking it in, and my evenly worn 710s tell me the same thing. I'll call you tommorrow.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

That guy's machine is Fk'd up. If you are cording the inside edge you have lots of negative camber and/or you are very toed-out. Inspect the front LCA to k-memeber bolts to see where they are located in the slots as well.

I'm at 26" F height and get -1 camber near the middle of the adjustment slots using a REBCO bubble gauge.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Teching In

I finally looked under the car last week. Camber bolts Hubbed to the INSIDE of the K member. What a mistake it was to take it somewhere close rather than to someone I trust. I Re-aligned the car before this past weekend's Two day event. 5 degrees caster, 1.4 degrees Un-maxed camber and zero toe. Maxed out its negative 2+ degrees, but I'm running out of money for tires! Now That I have a good baseline, I think I can handle the adjustments myself. Thanks for eveyone's advice before I go dick on the guy who screwed it up.
Sam, Thanks for the driving discussion this past weekend. I guess I listened for a change. Somehow though, I feel punishing payback coming on the 5th....
Old 07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm just glad we know your car isn't tweaked, just the guy you had work on it.

Nice job this weekend. Always happy to put a foot up your *** if you need it (just ask). We'll see about the 5th, I really miss running my car!!!

Quick Reply: Strano Offset bushings- max camber ZERO?