Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Monroe Shocks, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monroe Shocks, any good?

Are monroe sensa trac shocks any good, I need some shocks and I can get a %20 discount off on them, and was wondering if they were better than factory shocks?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

no, no, no, no....
Old 07-15-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

so what would be a good set of shocks?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

stranoparts.com
Revalve bilsteins or Koni SAs
Old 07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

why are they bad shocks? thats what ive always had on my car.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Restricted User

no!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Candyredz28
so what would be a good set of shocks?
are you keeping stock ride heigth? if you dont plan on lowering go with some bilstein hds.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

so whats wrong with monroes, because I might buy some today for $40 pr. and how much are blistens
Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

There is nothing wrong with the Monroes if you are just replacing factory shocks. Bilstiens are sold out and on back order for god knows how long. And everything else is **** unless you step up to Konis which are not cheap. I needed a set for my car and no one has Bilstiens in stock not even Autozone's supplier, SLP or Strano for that matter. My dad runs Monroes on his 99 HO Z28 and he will not lower his and it rides and handles just fine on the KY backroads. If you are going to lower it call Strano and he can help. Bilsteins are actually cheaper then the Monroe's and I would go taht route if you can find some. Wait about anothe month when they start shipping again or if you need them now just get the monroes at taht price they would be worth the change.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

It depends on the situation. Only way I would get a monroe shock is if I was absolutely broke and my shock was completely broken. If your shocks are just worn and you can't afford at least HD's, keep your stock ones where they are.

The only thing I would swap out stock shocks with at minimum would be a set of HDs to replace stock shocks, and probably look into the good set of HDs that Strano sells.

Lots of people blindly recommend konis even for people who just daily drive, and they aren't really needed when you can get a set of revalves at least which can mimic a single setting on koni shocks. UNLESS you ever plan on lowering your car ever, then I would definitely recommend the koni sports.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
It depends on the situation. Only way I would get a monroe shock is if I was absolutely broke and my shock was completely broken. If your shocks are just worn and you can't afford at least HD's, keep your stock ones where they are.

The only thing I would swap out stock shocks with at minimum would be a set of HDs to replace stock shocks, and probably look into the good set of HDs that Strano sells.

Lots of people blindly recommend konis even for people who just daily drive, and they aren't really needed when you can get a set of revalves at least which can mimic a single setting on koni shocks. UNLESS you ever plan on lowering your car ever, then I would definitely recommend the koni sports.
The way that Sam put it when I spoke to him (on the phone regarding revalves vs Konis) was that the 4/3 Koni's really aren't much more expensive than a set of the revalved Bilsteins. I think it was something like 550 for the Bilsteins and 735 for the Koni's.

My thinking is, with the Konis, you get a rebuildable, Adj, quality shock that when the conditions change, the shock can be adjusted to suit your needs.

And hopefully they will last damn never forever
Old 07-28-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your car deserves something better than monroe, trust me!I talk more people out of monroe shocks and struts because I've seen the cost cutting and poor quality control that come with these shocks. They may be ok for mom's crown vic but not good for f-bodys or mustangs or any performance car. Stay the f--k away from them.

Last edited by zombie1; 07-28-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta agree about the monroe shocks. My friend has a 97 SS that is pretty stock and he drives it hard and has actually broke the shock off at its weld on the lower mount. He bought a replacement and guess what? It broke again in the same place! Now Im sorry but that is poor as crap! I have never seen that happen before on a car. And his car is only pushing about 265 to the wheels.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monroe shocks are some **** my dad would put on hos Caprice Classic. Yeah boyyyyy!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

I had to put them on my car only thing I could get to put the car back togther. They do have a lifetime warranty on the shock and labor for replacement. Car rides fine with my prokit. Guess maybe when you put 2 things togther that people say are crap it works decent. Car rides/handles a little better then stock. Car still transfers and well i can keep on getting them replaced for free.

Quick Reply: Monroe Shocks, any good?