Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake noise?

Okay, I have a new noise over the last few days that is driving me crazy. #1, it comes from the front. #2, it is a rotating part, and not the motor as it does it rolling in neutral with the car off. #3, it changes pitch when I hit the brakes. It sounds almost like the noise that ABS makes but longer and relative to speed, MUCH more noticeable decelerating (cant tell if its just the engine noise masking it). Anyone have any ideas where to look? Pads look alright, rotors are worn but not terrible. I'm stumped at this point. Also, I found a screw in the tire and had it pulled out and patched, I thought that might be it but it does it still.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like the bearing in the hub assembly to me, one of mine is making noise too. It's non servicable so you have to buy the whole thing, cost is around $100 or so.

Take your rim off and grab the rotor at the top and bottom and try to rock the hub up and down, if it moves more than a few thousands most likely it's bad.

BTW got your PM, sorry man not sure of any yards around here that would have that, you might want to check out that place I'm planning on getting my rear done at to see if they might be able to fix it. Here's their info:

Non-sponsor info removed

Last edited by VIP1; 07-20-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gah, so many things going bad at the same time. I'm putting her on the lift tomorrow so I'll check that, doesn't sound like a bearing to me but its worth a check.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check your PM's
Old 07-21-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I checked the hub today and its solid. The front passenger side brake is seized it feels like. I can barely spin the tire by hand, and when I change directions it makes a metallic grinding noise. The pads have about 50% left on them, so is it possible the piston is bad/seized?