Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Caliper install?

Ok well i just replaced my rear pads and pads/rotors in the front. As i took out my old pads on the drivers side front, i noticed that one pad was worn down to pretty much bare medal and the other pad looked barely worn at all... So i'm thinkin i have something wrong with my caliper. Sure enough, as i was installing that caliper back on, it just wouldnt fit back on correctly. Now i need new calipers in the front. So im wondering how easy the install is. Install university has a write up on how to rebuild, but i'm wondering if therse anything special i need to do. Looks like its just plug and play, but im assuming i have to bleed my fluid dry before adding the new calipers? Any tips and pointers would be great, thanks.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the brake hose off one caliper and swap to the other. do not drain the system, if the master cylinder goes dry you will have fun trying to bleed.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds nice and easy. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt' jumpt to the conclusion that you need a new caliper. Sometimes they stick due to lack of lubrication. Make sure the piston moves freely and the dust boot is intact. Lubricate the caliper properly (epsecially the slider pins), reassemble and it should work fine.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The sliding pins are probably frozen. If they aren't the problem, inspect the pistons. Its usually is a stuck/frozen sliding pin.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VIP1
The sliding pins are probably frozen. If they aren't the problem, inspect the pistons. Its usually is a stuck/frozen sliding pin.
If you just have uneven wear, I would start here. Get a few cans of brake cleaner, clean out the caliper pin holes and the caliper pins spotless, and spread on some brand new brake caliper grease on the pins.

Quick Reply: Caliper install?