Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA true length

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCA true length

ok the factory length in 19.25 inch. what is the perfiect length that centers the rear tires the best.

anyone know.
thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The perfect length that centers the rear will be difference for every car. Just take the car in for an alignment and get them to align the rear too. Make sure to explain to them that you have aftermarket adjustable components in the rear that need to be adjusted and double check the results on the printout. When I took mine in for a 4-wheel alignment, the guy didn't believe me at first. He insisted that there wasn't anything in the rear that could be adjusted. I had to point them out to him. Once he saw them, he adjusted everything to spec. My rear is now properly aligned. It was slightly off with the stock parts.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

with the LCAs thrust angle can be corrected. and with a PHB, the the axle can be centered left to right, i havent looked in depth, but as far as i could see in our alignment machines at work, there isnt any measurement for that, i guess if i were interested in correcting that, i'd have to line it up to the wheel wells. if that is the case its not worth it because the body of the car is not necessarily straight.

thrust angle is a helpful adjustment though.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VIP1
The perfect length that centers the rear will be difference for every car. Just take the car in for an alignment and get them to align the rear too. Make sure to explain to them that you have aftermarket adjustable components in the rear that need to be adjusted and double check the results on the printout. When I took mine in for a 4-wheel alignment, the guy didn't believe me at first. He insisted that there wasn't anything in the rear that could be adjusted. I had to point them out to him. Once he saw them, he adjusted everything to spec. My rear is now properly aligned. It was slightly off with the stock parts.

i don't have adj. ones. i am making my own. i aint paying someone to make something out of metal. i do that for a living.

so that is why i wanted to know size. didn't want to make it a adjustible one. less parts to break.

so any more help would be helpful
Old 07-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

In that case, measure how far off the rear is (if at all) with the current LCAs and make the new ones compensate for it.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Mine was 1\2 inch off.
I welded my lower control arm brackets to correct this.

What a mistake! Now my tire rubes the front inside of the wheel well.

How much u making these for? I'd be intrested in a set 1\2 inch longer. I dont want to go adjustable either.

I'm running a 315\35-17 with a 17x 11 wheel.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sartobuilt
Mine was 1\2 inch off.
I welded my lower control arm brackets to correct this.

What a mistake! Now my tire rubes the front inside of the wheel well.

How much u making these for? I'd be intrested in a set 1\2 inch longer. I dont want to go adjustable either.

I'm running a 315\35-17 with a 17x 11 wheel.
I love adjustable had to say it
Old 07-29-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i made mine 19 9/16"
Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
I love adjustable had to say it
ok but your adjustable is held buy a 3/4" part. my not adj is 1.5x2.5 tube. storng as F***
Old 08-17-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
ok but your adjustable is held buy a 3/4" part. my not adj is 1.5x2.5 tube. storng as F***
Just curious, but have you ever seen a broken LCA? I have not, maybe bent from hitting a tree, but not from racing or regular driving.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

O.K. I really don't want to turn this into a turd throwing contest but I can guarantee you that the fastest F bodies on this site have adjustables under them. If Chromemoly and QA1 rod ends are good and strong enough for them I believe that they will hold up for our pitiful street cars.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't gone looking, but i've seen more non-adjustable stuff busted than adjustable stuff... its usually the welds at the ends of the tubes where the bushings are that break, or the actual metal tube section that retains the bushing, i've seen that break as well

Also.. how are your custom LCAs going to allow for twist? LCAs need to be able to twist to allow for full articulation.. as in when only one wheel goes over a bump.. this is what adjustables (rod ends) are best at... allowing articulation without flex. and what non-adjustable LCA's are bad at- suspension bind
Old 08-19-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
I haven't gone looking, but i've seen more non-adjustable stuff busted than adjustable stuff... its usually the welds at the ends of the tubes where the bushings are that break, or the actual metal tube section that retains the bushing, i've seen that break as well

Also.. how are your custom LCAs going to allow for twist? LCAs need to be able to twist to allow for full articulation.. as in when only one wheel goes over a bump.. this is what adjustables (rod ends) are best at... allowing articulation without flex. and what non-adjustable LCA's are bad at- suspension bind

No joke. I can hear the difference when my car goes over something. I can't even describe the sound. Almost a bump followed by a ping.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Banned

well idk. but sure looks like BMR(a very big suspension comapny) has lca that retain the bushing. they work fine. and all the normal length ones i have made work fine.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

well idk. but sure looks like BMR(a very big suspension comapny) has lca that retain the bushing. they work fine. and all the normal length ones i have made work fine.
I know they do, I had some, crome moly ones even.. they've been sitting in my closet for a couple years.. selling them soon as i get around to it.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By using something better (for a street car) than a rod end. Go drive a car with rod ends around every day for a year (in weather and changing climates) and then see how many of them need to be replaced...and how much NVH you introduced to your daily driven car.

Stock LCA's SUCK for anyone who wants a performance oriented street car...someone who wants a stockish car thats nice to drive and doesn't push it hard will probably have no problems with them...but for someone who wants something better, for the street, that isn't horrible on NVH, that lasts for YEARS AND YEARS in all sorts of awful climate conditions...I was going to post a link but I realized they're not a sponsor, so the link would probably just get deleted (but they're BIG in the off road world). I guess all I can say is that they're spherical, but they're isolated with poly, they articulate further than most rod ends, and you can even get them in a "rod end" style that allows for adjustability if you really want to (in order to help you stuff huge tires under the car or for some other reason)...and they last FOREVER and cost next to nothing to "rebuild" if you ever need to.

The arms you see breaking at a weld with poly bushings are doing that because of improper welding, improper heat treating (which you can do yourself with a torch and some oil if you need/want to) and also a lot of the time because people use too small an ID and run a very small bushing, resulting in not enough poly to have enoush crush/squish room and thus things bind easily and break.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyway... the stock LCAs dont suck, they twist as they're designed to and are infact quite good for handling (with new solid rubber). they're also the most liveable on the street as far as comfort goes. maybe not the best for drag racing but if your goal is a daily driven drag car, then your best bet is a poly/rod combo. which allows the axle end to have rod end to allow articulation and has a poly bushing at the body end to keep things comfortable. Best of all worlds IMO
Old 08-21-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

anyway... the stock LCAs dont suck, they twist as they're designed to and are infact quite good for handling (with new solid rubber). they're also the most liveable on the street as far as comfort goes. maybe not the best for drag racing but if your goal is a daily driven drag car, then your best bet is a poly/rod combo. which allows the axle end to have rod end to allow articulation and has a poly bushing at the body end to keep things comfortable. Best of all worlds IMO
I don't agree with you at all...the stock LCA's are intended to twist yes...but they don't offer appropriate axle control for a street car thats driven really hard...and a poly/rod end combo is not my idea of a good design on the street either...a johnny joint combo is though (poly cushioned easy to grease sphericals).
Old 08-21-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe you can post non-sponsor links as long as its for a technical purpose. If not, the mod will do away with it.

Anywyway, I believe these are what you're talking about

http://currieenterprises.com/cestore/johnnyjoints.aspx
Old 08-21-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Yes they are...I don't know the rules well enough on what you can and can't post in regards to that.