Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension for road race setup

Old 07-26-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension for road race setup

Ok I am setting up my car for road race rather then drag ( I know what am I thinking ) anyhow I have been looking at a few things please help me decide what is best.

1. the LCA relocation brackets. should I or not ? and why ?
2. also I am looking at UMI single adj LCAs
3. and SFCs (passenger side only due to STS turbo pipes on drivers side.)
4. also what about adj. torque arm and relocation from the tranny to a cross bar type setup?
5. was also thinking about the adjustable Tekiko(?spelling?) shocks all around.

thanks in advance for recommendations and opinions and experiences shared.

~Guy
Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdriver27
Ok I am setting up my car for road race rather then drag ( I know what am I thinking ) anyhow I have been looking at a few things please help me decide what is best.

1. the LCA relocation brackets. should I or not ? and why ?
Typically not. The issue is "roll steer". If the LCA's are lower in the rear than the front, the car will want to oversteer during body roll. In order to get the LCA's level, you'll typically need to weld the brackets on and drill holes right between the stock bracket and the relocation bracket. Most actual track cars don't use them. (assuming that you're building a track car, based on what you said).

2. also I am looking at UMI single adj LCAs
I'd stick to a Heim/Heim LCA for a track car. UMI makes great parts and Ryan will take good care of you.

3. and SFCs (passenger side only due to STS turbo pipes on drivers side.)
I wouldn't bother. A roll bar can fix your stiffness issues far better than an SFC and it will do both sides.

4. also what about adj. torque arm and relocation from the tranny to a cross bar type setup?
As long as you don't shorten the arm, you should be ok. The aftermarket arms can help reduce the tendency to brake hop. This is mostly an issue when road racing or autocrossing on stick tires.

5. was also thinking about the adjustable Tekiko(?spelling?) shocks all around.
It's pretty much Koni's or bust for track cars. You can do the custom valved bilstein race shocks, but Koni's will do the job for quite a while as you learn the car and the tracks.

Again, you said road racing and I'm answering these questions for a track car application. If you just want a good handling street car, there are a few stickies at the top of the page that will probably teach you a lot.

My thoughts.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

What he said and also

The sportlines have to go if you're serious about making your car competitive. Those springs are good for only one thing.. riding around on the bumpstops, they're toooo low and the rates are too soft.

In addition to the springs and the koni shocks, you'll probably want to get some bigger swaybars.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

great info thanks for the help. much appreciated. I do already have a roll cage in so I guess I dont have to add the weight of the SFC which is nice. I am currently @ 3540lbs with a half tank and I am 2020 in front and 1520 in back I will certainly go with the UMI double adj. (2 heim) LCAs and a torque arm w/ relocation, its a daily driver slash car show slash track car so depending on the cost I will probably go either Koni or Tekiko for shocks. I love the height and feel of the Sportlines and cant afford adjustables. so I will probably stick with those and by the time I have more money I would probably rather spend it on a K member and A arms and stuff like that I dont know though. thanks again you have been very helpful. ~Guy
Old 07-27-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

didn't see anything about a panhard bar. go with a QA1 rod ended adjustable one. UMI seems to make a nice one
Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I love the height and feel of the Sportlines and cant afford adjustables.
You can afford all that stuff in your sig, but you can't afford the most important piece of the suspension?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
You can afford all that stuff in your sig, but you can't afford the most important piece of the suspension?
Good catch!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"didn't see anything about a panhard bar. go with a QA1 rod ended adjustable one. UMI seems to make a nice one"

He has one in his signature already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: suspension for road race setup