Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HELP... caliper fell off...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP... caliper fell off...

Okay well the title pretty much says it all, my caliper bolt went bye-bye (the top one) on the front left, and the caliper fell off halfway, ruined the inside of my wheel and tore up the caliper itself pretty good. Where can I get a new bolt!!!??? No one has the big black bolt that hold the caliper onto the bracket, I even brought the bottom one around to several places to compare and can't find any bolt like it. I can't seem to find a part number or anything either. Anyone have this info?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bolt that holds the caliper to the bracket or the bolt that holds the bracket to the knuckle?

I have a drawer fukll of bolts that attach the caliper to the bracket. It threads into the guide pin. New ones come with rebuild kits. I would be happy to drop a couple in the mail to you. I'm not sure of the size or thread pitch.

If it's the bolt that attaches the bracket to the knuckle, that will be a little tougher to find the proper size and GRADE. It's a 10mm x 1.5 pitch (or 1.25, sorry, it's from memory). But it needs to be a grade 10.9, not the standard 8.8 you see typically offered at Lowes or Home Depot.

Or, you can drill out the threads in the knuckle and bracket and insert a pair of 7/16" (1/2" would be better) grade 8 bolts and use nuts to secure.

If it were mine, I'd drill it out and use bolts and nuts.

Use locktite blue.

HTH
Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go to autozone and ask for a caliper bolt for the car.. they stock 100s of them.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Where can I get a new bolt!!!??? No one has the big black bolt that hold the caliper onto the bracket
That makes me think it's the bolt that holds the bracket to the knuckle.

Every caliper bolt I've seen has an anodized coating on it.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah thats the one, my mistake. the ones that hold it to the bracket are there. I couldn't find anything even close to the same thread as the one that came off the car. Is there enough clearance on the back to put a nut if I drill it out?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Clearance between the rotor and knuckle is the most critical. So, you might need to put the bolt through the knuckle first and fasten it with a nut on the back side, having the bolt head against the rotor face. Might have a hard time finding the exact length bolt you need to have the threads hanging out.

Before you drill, make sure you can get a wrench on both bolts with the caliper in bracket in place.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll look at it today, no idea where I can get the original bolt?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you have a GOOD parts guy at a dealership, he can probably find out.

If you have a Fastenal distributor close by, they could probably find you a match. But, most Fastenal places will only sell fastners in quantitiy, not singles.

I cannot stress enough to make sure you get the same GRADE bolt ...
Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I'll look at it today, no idea where I can get the original bolt?

any dealer should be able to get a bolt and or the specs for that bolt i do it all the time when i lose or break bolts
Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant believe you walked into a parts place and they looked at you with rolling eyes.. I would ask if they have a thread gauge- to check what the threads are.. or just go in their nuts and bolts section (NOT HOME DEPOT/LOWES, they do not carry enough metric stuff) and start pulling nuts out of packages and checking the thread size and pitch. Not very difficult, I would never resort to drilling the knuckle/bracket, thats a hack IMO.

Quick Reply: HELP... caliper fell off...