Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SS vs Ws6 Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS vs Ws6 Which is better?

Were the springs the same? Were the shocks the same? Whats the difference in ride heights. Were there different versions of each? And the big question is which one is better?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

depends what years and what options

generally they're the same, except the SS may be a few pounds lighter (better)

also, in my case, the SS was cheaper (better)
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

TA looks cooler!!!...lol
Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

nothing really different. all about preference
Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 AM
12 Second Club

This is just a suspension question. I have a TA, not a WS6 and am trying to figure out which would be better for me. Can anybody tell me anything about ride height or anything else.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

unless you get one that had optional equipment such as slp handling packages or a 1LE car, the spring rates will be the same (therefore ride height is also the same, except for difference in weight) the shocks will be the same crappy decarbons (slp options included bilstein and stiffer springs, 1le's come with koni shocks i believe)

basically all normal LS1 f-bodies, Z-28, TA, WS6, SS have the same springs and shocks. the WS6 and the SS have 32mm front swaybars (the other two may only have 30mm, not positive) they all have the same rear swaybars...

If you're trying to select a new car.. it really doesnt matter. just get one that runs good for a good price, buy a set of konis, buy a set of strano springs, buy a set of strano swaybars and you'll have an f-body that handles better than any factory fbody
Old 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
unless you get one that had optional equipment such as slp handling packages or a 1LE car, the spring rates will be the same (therefore ride height is also the same, except for difference in weight) the shocks will be the same crappy decarbons (slp options included bilstein and stiffer springs, 1le's come with koni shocks i believe)

basically all normal LS1 f-bodies, Z-28, TA, WS6, SS have the same springs and shocks. the WS6 and the SS have 32mm front swaybars (the other two may only have 30mm, not positive) they all have the same rear swaybars...

If you're trying to select a new car.. it really doesnt matter. just get one that runs good for a good price, buy a set of konis, buy a set of strano springs, buy a set of strano swaybars and you'll have an f-body that handles better than any factory fbody
I just recently purchaced the 2001 WS6 springs from a guy for 50 bucks. I dont know if they were the ones that had the bilstiens or not, so I guess I could have just purchaced the same springs that I already have which would suck. They haven't been shipped to me yet. I found a set of SLP springs with bilstein shocks atached that we think came out of an SS. The whole reason for this post is to find out if I would be better off using the SLP or the WS6 that I ordered. Also I just wanted to know the difference. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

WS6's are way better than SS's. Not only do they look better but they have more comfortable seats.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
WS6's are way better than SS's. Not only do they look better but they have more comfortable seats.

Looks = subjective
Seats = TA seats DO kick Z28 seat ***
Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MyTA99
I just recently purchaced the 2001 WS6 springs from a guy for 50 bucks. I dont know if they were the ones that had the bilstiens or not, so I guess I could have just purchaced the same springs that I already have which would suck. They haven't been shipped to me yet. I found a set of SLP springs with bilstein shocks atached that we think came out of an SS. The whole reason for this post is to find out if I would be better off using the SLP or the WS6 that I ordered. Also I just wanted to know the difference. Thanks for the info.
Unless they are 1LE springs, they are probably the same as whatever you currently have on your car. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Looks = subjective
Seats = TA seats DO kick Z28 seat ***

I hate T/A seats, the camaro seats fit me more comfortably. so thats is also subjective
Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

I preferred the seats in my T/A over the Camaro. I slide around in the Camaro seats way too much in turns.

The nice thing about Camaros is that they look so boring from the factory that a few changes really sets them apart. All WS6's look good to begin with, but then again they all look the same..for the most part.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Unless they are 1LE springs, they are probably the same as whatever you currently have on your car. Sorry for the bad news.
Can you tell just by looking at the springs if they are the 1LE or not?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO I think the T/A Dashes are far better than the Camaros...test drove both, I loved the T/A, appearence, feel and for some reason I just felt the T/A was made better...just my opinion, I'm looking to move to ls1 soon I think I'll be digging up the extra cash for the bird!
Old 08-04-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the WS6 interior is much nicer. I also remember reading some early magazine article reviews of both and almost every one of them rated the WS6 as a faster car. I have never driven an SS so I couldn't really say.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Id use the billstein ones man...the others ones could be like you said the exact same as yours.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MyTA99
Can you tell just by looking at the springs if they are the 1LE or not?
Is there some kind of stamp that says what springs they are?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

MyTA99, just got your PM (been out of town)

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

paste that link into your browser and check it out.

You can compare those springs you got to the stockers. If the wire thickness is the same and if the coil spacing (they both have to be off the car for good comparison) is the same, then yes, they're the same spring.

1LE springs will either be thicker wire or have different coil spacing, not sure which, maybe both..

Both stock and 1LE (fronts anyway) will be linear springs which means all coils will be approx the same spacing.

The SLP springs will have varrying spacing as they are not linear springs

I guess I haven't exactly answered your question, but hopefully that info will help you get this figured out.