Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Holy crap Koni DA's at TireRack for $225!!??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Holy crap Koni DA's at TireRack for $225!!??

Just brousing tirerack.. came across this.. Koni D/A's $225 fronts each

check the description.. REBOUND AND COMPRESSION.. front fitment.. $225!!!! they are on closeout... damn i might have to get some.. better not be a typo
Old 08-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like it. damn that's a good price!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Did anyone notice where it says "special order" and not "in stock"??????

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

so what if they are special order... means your getting factory fresh set.... at that price i can wait a few weeks... im jumping on it now
Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok, lets try this again. Notice where it says CLOSEOUT. They are being blown out because they want rid of 'em. I don't think they'll order more of something they want less of. I could be wrong.... or not.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Yep, I noticed what Sam is saying - kinda makes you go hmmmmmmm, closeout on a special order item - logic says to me that you do not have 'special order' items sitting on the shelve so how can it be a closeout???? Kinda weird/suspicious........
Old 08-09-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aren't they 740 at strano parts for all four?

450 for the front set isnt much of a saving...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

740 is for the single adjustables, which are less expensive than the double adjustables on tirerack. This is quite a good deal, if you take it for face value.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point by Sam.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

i just called Tirerack... they have a few on the shelves.. after that.. they will order these in for you... takes 3 weeks.. they are closing them out because they said they dont sell alot for our cars... got mine ordered.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm sorry to say guys that there is something amiss here. And I'll be damned if I have to play by pricing rules and they don't. $225 each is far, FAR too low for a front DA. And if they were on closeout then they should be on closeout. And FWIW, checked their website last night and it showed all warehouses as "discontinued".

Other details that may or maynot be important. DA's don't have the lower perch height. DA's are so overkill it's not funny, despite owning a set I run *SA's* on my own car. My math comes up to around $970 and change for a set of DA's from them with the "closeout" pricing on the fronts. Still $124-232 more than either set of SA's, which win National Championships. Why don't I run my DA's? Because I found the bump adjustment to be pretty much useless, and worse more often than not made the car slower.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 08-10-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
DA's are so overkill it's not funny, despite owning a set I run *SA's* on my own car.
[snip]
Still $124-232 more than either set of SA's, which win National Championships. Why don't I run my DA's? Because I found the bump adjustment to be pretty much useless, and worse more often than not made the car slower.
Interesting ... I bet a lot of your KONI DA customers are getting a warm fuzzy feeling in their wallet right about now.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

I'm sorry to say guys that there is something amiss here. And I'll be damned if I have to play by pricing rules and they don't. $225 each is far, FAR too low for a front DA. And if they were on closeout then they should be on closeout. And FWIW, checked their website last night and it showed all warehouses as "discontinued".

Other details that may or maynot be important. DA's don't have the lower perch height. DA's are so overkill it's not funny, despite owning a set I run *SA's* on my own car. My math comes up to around $970 and change for a set of DA's from them with the "closeout" pricing on the fronts. Still $124-232 more than either set of SA's, which win National Championships. Why don't I run my DA's? Because I found the bump adjustment to be pretty much useless, and worse more often than not made the car slower.

your statements are rediculous.. people have a chance to buy Koni D/A's cheaper than S/A's.. on a closeout... and you're throwing a hissy fit saying they're not needed and to buy SA's at a more expensive price.. ???? WTF? Sam i have been a member of this board for a while, I have always respected your opinion.. but come on.. dont run around telling people they shouldnt buy DA's if they are cheaper than the SA's from a sponsor at this particular time.

From my stand point.. and my opinion, it sounds more like you are butt hurt that another sponsor is selling a product you sell, for cheaper.. and you're mad about it. Tirerack is huge, and im sure their buying power is a little better than your's and im sure they have already spoke with Koni about it.

DA's being over kill?? umm not 100% true. There are people out there (like me) who are building unrestricted road racing cars, or people that KNOW how to set up a suspension and want these. Not everyone runs autocross like you, and not everyone will want the same set up like you. Im not trying to be mean or a dick in this reply by any means whatsoever.. so i hope you dont take it that way. But let people choose for themselves what they want.

Im not going to get into a pissing match with you on why i want them or how i will set them up.. thats where my test and tune will come in...

I found a great deal by a sponsor, i passed on the info... its a closeout sale, so its not going to be long, then when it ends, you can sleep at night again. and this is my last comment on this subject.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you look closely you will notice he said the the DA's through tirerack.com were still more expensive than a set of Koni SA's, which will work in most situations for MOST, read: not all, LS1tech readers, for about 150-200 cheaper. I also think that if Sam said that I didn't need the compression adjustment, then I am going to listen to him and save my $200.

Also, I thought that Koni played the pricing game like all the other big companies and I didn't know that invlolved a super-low price compared to other retailers, but it is called a 'free' market for a reason.

Last edited by gun5l1ng3r; 08-13-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Noticed the price went back up. Wonder if a little birdy told Koni what was going on??
Old 09-02-2007, 08:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Let me address Mitch first. Mitch--I don't have lots of Koni DA customers because I take the time to explain what compression and rebound do, how it works, and when you want to adjust it. I have a few customers who feel the need to have it, and some others I recommend them to, mostly when they have massive brakes or rear axles. So I'm not real worried about a lynch-mob coming after me over my running and/or recommending SA's, because I'm honest about it from the get-go.

As for the little birdy. Rules are rules, though I never spoke to, or e-mailed anyone @ Koni about this, figuring I'd see what happened. However, when Koni sets MAP stuff, it's for everyone to abide by, not for everyone but special people to ignore.

I didn't say anything this time because I figured something was amiss here. And frankly you can't get anywhere near the kind of setup info from TireRack you can get from me. I hoped most folks would realize this, and in conjunction with the fact that DA's are such overkill, and the price was *still* more than SA's would make reasonable people think about it long enough to wonder if this "deal" was worth it.

If you are looking for someone to blame, and it makes you feel better to blame me, go ahead--I couldn't stop you anyway, some folks don't like the truth.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me address Mitch first. Mitch--I don't have lots of Koni DA customers because I take the time to explain what compression and rebound do, how it works, and when you want to adjust it. I have a few customers who feel the need to have it, and some others I recommend them to, mostly when they have massive brakes or rear axles. So I'm not real worried about a lynch-mob coming after me over my running and/or recommending SA's, because I'm honest about it from the get-go.

As for the little birdy. Rules are rules, though I never spoke to, or e-mailed anyone @ Koni about this, figuring I'd see what happened. However, when Koni sets MAP stuff, it's for everyone to abide by, not for everyone but special people to ignore.

I didn't say anything this time because I figured something was amiss here. And frankly you can't get anywhere near the kind of setup info from TireRack you can get from me. I hoped most folks would realize this, and in conjunction with the fact that DA's are such overkill, and the price was *still* more than SA's would make reasonable people think about it long enough to wonder if this "deal" was worth it.

If you are looking for someone to blame, and it makes you feel better to blame me, go ahead--I couldn't stop you anyway, some folks don't like the truth.

Lots of venders offer advice reguardless of where the person bought from. And if you were really just in it for the customer service you should have matched the price to stay competitve. They changed the rules, you change the rules. Most venders offer a price match. They don't brag about their terrific customer service skills then ignore the fact that they may be higher than their competitors on price. You, Sam, are a very knowledgable person. I would never suggest otherwise. Just hope you realize there is more to business than just good information. As a side note with any luck I will be in the market for more suspension parts in the near future.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
And if you were really just in it for the customer service you should have matched the price to stay competitve. They changed the rules, you change the rules. Most venders offer a price match.
Koni sets the minimum advertised pricing (MAP), they require you to advertise their product for no less than "x" amount. In most cases (Bose audio equipment was one of them who did MAP pricing) you can lose your ability to sell their stuff if you break that rule. So, if Sam matched the prices, he could potentially lose his ability to sell Koni products. If he's not allowed to advertise them that low, it's only fair that no other vendors should be able to do that either, that's the whole point of MAP pricing. If there was no MAP pricing, vendors would be free to do whatever they felt comfortable doing. Blame Koni....

I'm just trying to explain the root of the issue here. I've bought from Sam and many other vendors and I've had good service from all of them. And, any dealer who sells Koni will be up against the same issue, it doesn't matter if it's Sam, LMPerformance or anyone else. They all have to follow the rules, or at least they are supposed to.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can believe that they have a set price. But to try to talk others out of buying there because his hands are tied? Someone saw a good deal on a part from a sponser and they shared the info. Typo, mistake, whatever. When verified as a honored price they told the group.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Directed at no one in particular ...

WS6gluemaker (LOL at the name) you will notice that this section and site has moved away from a sharing of information to more of a recommended vendor listing. I empathize with your frustration.

Some one will post a request for help and a phone number is offered up as "technical advice". I have complained to admin about it numerous times, but as long as vendors keep writing checks, the practice will remain.

This once great site has now become what LS1.com used to be. A place where, if you pay a fee, it will shield you from accountability, the exact scenario that spawned this site.

So you have a couple choices ...

Get in line and follow the Pied Piper or do it yourself.

I chose the latter.

And come to find out, there are a lot of us out there that just don't buy the BS offered. There are a few alternate sites whose membership has enough savy and knowledge that they will actually take the time to pen a technical response, not limited to a recommended parts list.

The sites aren't hard to find.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Holy crap Koni DA's at TireRack for $225!!??