Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Excessive body roll...ARGH.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Excessive body roll...ARGH.

I have some QA1s that are waiting to go on, but im so sick of the Horrific body roll i have been encountering with some low mileage shock/springs I have recently purchased. I did a poly mount and endlink sway bar install as well.

Would a 1LE spring pair up well with a QA1 shock? I have rear BMR springs so I would like to level the ride height when im done, im just nervous that the 1LE would put alot of stress on the exterior threads of the QA1 shock.

Let me know some opinions on what i should do/ or get.

I want my car to drive good/safe.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some basic info that can help you diagnose the exact problem.

-Springs will help how far the body rolls, and keep the car fairly level. The adverse effect of increasing spring rate is that you can mess up the handling of the car over bumps (even tiny ones you can't see).
-Shocks will help the the rate of body roll. In other words, the car will still roll, but it will do so very slowly. In a sweeping turn, you'll get roll - but in a slalom, you won't.
-Swaybars will help how much the body rolls. But, the adverse of this is that it picks up the inside wheel in a turn, thereby reducing overall grip available.

All of them have their good points and bad points. You just have to figure out exactly what you want.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Will my car rolls badly while changing lanes, and yanks to the side when going over the lane dividers. Not very responsive either. I want something to make my suspension feel confident even when changing lanes.

Would a Bilstein/eibach package solve my problem?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SHINER
I have some QA1s that are waiting to go on, but im so sick of the Horrific body roll i have been encountering with some low mileage shock/springs I have recently purchased. I did a poly mount and endlink sway bar install as well.
What size sway bars? And if you want firm handling dont bother with the QA1s, they are drag shocks and will be loose to allow weight transfer to the rear.

Would a 1LE spring pair up well with a QA1 shock? I have rear BMR springs so I would like to level the ride height when im done, im just nervous that the 1LE would put alot of stress on the exterior threads of the QA1 shock.

Let me know some opinions on what i should do/ or get.

I want my car to drive good/safe.
If you want to save some cash, use your stock springs and buy some Koni SA's. Or if you want to lower the car and improve handling buy Strano springs with the Konis.
You wouldnt believe the difference just the Konis made on my car. Not only does the car have significantly more grip, but its so much more predictable.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Good Point man.

I think im gonna ditch my mismatched suspension and get some regular Bilsteins and Eibach setup.

Im sure it will be night and day.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I concur with the above. Shocks will accomplish 80% of it. Springs will get another 10%. Swaybars will round it off.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. Shocks. Konis are good.
2. Bigger front bar 35MM

Will seem like a new car. Don't do Qa1 for handling.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

1. Shocks are the most important upgrade. Like others said, the QA1 are for drag, not handling. Get some Koni SA's, you won't believe the difference!
If you can only afford one upgrade, DO THE SHOCKS !
2. Sway bars. They control body roll and help mgive that "tight" handling feel.
I recommend 35mm hollow bar, like Sam Strano sells.
3. Better spring are a good upgrade, but stay away from variable-rate springs. This because it is so much easier to get your shock setting optimised for correct damping of the springs if you have linear-rate vs. progressive-rate springs. At least that's what I found.
But a great handling car is made by using the right combination of parts.
Give Sam Strano a call. He will take the time to discuss your goals of the car and your budget, and give you some sound recommendations on what upgrades to make and the right combo of parts to get the ride and handling you are after.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks, already talked to Sam Strano..

I got a route im thinking about going soon, thanks for all the responses guys yall have been more than helpful.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SHINER
...I think im gonna ditch my mismatched suspension and get some regular Bilsteins and Eibach setup.
Not to rain on your parade, but that combination is mismatched as well. The Standard HD's are not valved for anything other than a stock spring (as Bilstein mentions). Also, while the Eibach pro-kit fronts aren't too terrible, the rears I could care less for since I found them to be way too soft and way too low.

I still say, hold on to your money for a little longer and consult Sam Strano again.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

ive decided on some stuff, not going to buy anything for a while though because of certain reasons.

I admit though i do not know as much on the suspension side then i do on the engine side of car...but everyone has to start somewhere.

Will be going with some koni SA's i found somewhere, and probably some BMR's.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd hope you have some solid reasoning for picking those springs, and I hope "somewhere" can help you tune the Koni's..... Just a thought.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Excessive body roll...ARGH.