Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

alignment problem: pulls right, got it aligned, still pulls to the right...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alignment problem: pulls right, got it aligned, still pulls to the right...

just got my car aligned, but it feels the same as before, still pulls to the right.

i went through a car wash but i'd turned off the ignition while it was still rolling on the tracks. so i'm pretty sure the wheel/steering was fighting with the metal tracks as it rolled through it. it has been pulling to the right since then.

took it to get it aligned today and gave them specific specs (for high speed stability).

caster: +4.5*
camber: -.7*
toe in: 1/32

my question is, do they perform the alignment (change the degree) relative to it's current state?

i would think they would have to correct the problem first, THEN apply the changes i want.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

You may have a damaged tire...try swapping tires and see if the pull changes. If not I would have them recheck the alignment.

Caster being off between the two sides is what causes pull. Did you get a printout of the final results??
Old 08-14-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pulling to the right is because of road crown. This helps get water off the road when it rains.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Pulling to the right is because of road crown. This helps get water off the road when it rains.
+1.

thats why when they have alignments made, they generally make caster more negative on the left to compensate for that. or camber more positive ont he elft also.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reznor
just got my car aligned, but it feels the same as before, still pulls to the right.

i went through a car wash but i'd turned off the ignition while it was still rolling on the tracks. so i'm pretty sure the wheel/steering was fighting with the metal tracks as it rolled through it. it has been pulling to the right since then.

took it to get it aligned today and gave them specific specs (for high speed stability).

caster: +4.5*
camber: -.7*
toe in: 1/32

my question is, do they perform the alignment (change the degree) relative to it's current state?

i would think they would have to correct the problem first, THEN apply the changes i want.
we, as alignment techs, make the necessary corrections to meet the given specs from the before readings. now, looking at the specs you gave him, it should pull right. this is due to the road crown and all angles being equal. what i do is get camber equal to each other and put the caster about .3*-.5* higher on the right side versus the left. this will offset the pull associated with the road crown and the car goes straight.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mrr23
looking at the specs you gave him, it should pull right. this is due to the road crown and all angles being equal.
My left and right are even and my car does not pull right. I insisted on both sides being the same and saw the spec sheet to confirm it.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

it happens. some car are more susceptible than others.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

My car pulls left when roads are angled down to the left and right on the opposite slanted road...

If your car ALWAYS pulls right something is wrong. I started doing my own alignments cause the techs. said they needed a special tool to do it and they didn't have one. Booohoo...I have no problem without the special tool and without the computerized crap they require.

Get the printout to make sure they did a full alignment to your specs. and not just a toe and go to the wide factory specs.

Quick Reply: alignment problem: pulls right, got it aligned, still pulls to the right...