Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake problem, maybe bad ABS? help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake problem, maybe bad ABS? help

this is on a 97 Camaro, v6, auto with ABS. When stopping from just about any speed, there is a slip almost like the ABS is trying to enage but can't, then when almost completely stopped, it kicks the ABS in and stops real hard. During this slip, the front wheels roll, stop, roll, etc, until finally stopped. The LOW TRAC light comes on during this process, and will reset after a few minutes. After several tries at this, the "ABS INOP" light comes on, then it stops normally, no slip, no hesitation. In order to reset the INOP light, turning the car off and back on will reset it. The "brake" dash light is also on all the time, regardless of any of the rest of the symtoms.
All fuses appear to be good, fluid is good, although we are going to bleed the whole system anyway. Any ideas what this could be?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Launching!

I have a 1995 camaro Z28 A4 that had the same problem..An easy fix is too pop the hood and there is a rectangle fuse box and take the fuse out the is for the ABS...Your Abs Inop ligh will be on all time but you wont have a problem will stopping..
Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A sensor in one of the wheel hubs most likely has gone bad, happened to my Dad's old Tahoe.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

I can full the fuse, but then the ABS won't work at all? I don't think I want to do this.

I will try to bleed the system and see what happens.

thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mcamp001
I can full the fuse, but then the ABS won't work at all? I don't think I want to do this.

I will try to bleed the system and see what happens.

thanks
That wont solve your problem. You can have the car scanned and it should have a couple of codes in it. Find out what they are and start there.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

we got this scanned, it turned out to be a bad front right wheel sensor. I understand the replacement comes as an assembly, so you have to buy the entire hub section, that sucks... thanks for the replies