Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default new suspension

Well, I finally got along to replaing the worn out struts and springs... Since i was already there i chose to change the springs too. Parts list include BMR 1 inch lowering springs, KYB AGX series adjustable struts and shocks, they were affordable and available thru advanced auto parts... they have 8 settings from soft to firm, i found that 3-4 is good for street use, either way is too hard or soft for the street, so far i am very happy with the handling difference... Lee at BMR was very helpful and i ordered the springs and had them in a couple of days.. fairly easy install especially if you have access to a lift... before and after pics....

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/joer09/Picture015.jpg[/IMIG]
I also put new spring isolaters front and rear, by next year i want to put some 17's all around and put subframes...
Old 08-18-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

oops last pic...

when the heat breaks down here in a month or two, i will get a photoshoot and some track time....
Old 08-18-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested for a longer-term review of these shocks.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

will do, but she is my occasional driver, im not trying to put a ton of miles on her, she has 42k. i drive an old reliable lowered toyota for my DD, so far i like the setting at 3, 4 handles good but im starting to get that tight bouncing on bumps, i havent gone higher, and when she goes to the track in the fall, i will turn down the rears to see if it hooks better, but not bad so far..
Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Banned

did you measeure how much you actualy lost?
was it 1"?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Where are your front dust boots? Not having them is bad enough, but worse is the bumpstop is an integral part of the boot. No boot, no stops unless you tore them apart (and I don't see 'em).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

i did not tear apart the factory stuff, i bought new isolaters and strut mounts and installed on bench, didnt think about boot, should be ok, i know it will take some life away, but i dont have the time to tear it down again.
According to BMR it is supposed to be a 1 inch drop, but im sure it will end up being 1 1/4 inch, those are the factory 16's and they look good, but i want to fill those fender wells better, maybe a set of 17's all around with 275's and maybe some 315's out back.. so far the car handles better, the car doesnt squat like it used to, it just goes, but i do have some traction issues but less than before
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It's not just the boot you forgot--the bumpstop is inside the boot, and that's pretty important to have.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious, what will happen without the bumpstops on the fronts?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What generally happens when you leave parts off that are engineered to be there?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmmmmm
I am thinking death and destruction.....

I guess it will be fine unless he bottoms out....or do they serve another purpose aswell?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

These cars have limited from travel, look at a shock off a car sometime and notice how small the range is, and then add the bumpstop back to it. Then consider that putting the car on the ground further compresses the shock. You're left with little travel until you contact the stop the first time, it's a working active part of the suspension. So you don't need to "Bottom out" in a big way to have trouble.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

ic.......I currently have my front subframe out and am rebuilding the engine....
I just did the front shocks aswell and I dont remember there being bumpstops......
argh
Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Any longer term review of these shocks Dying Breed?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

so far they are doing well, no spring sag, the car handles real well, i keep it set around 3 or 4, too low is too soft for me and higher up is way too stiff especially on bumpy roads.. Took a trip to orlando airport(1 hr drive each way) and had good manners for a lowered car on a bumpy highway. Now the smallest flick of the wheel and the car follows over, it does hook harder out back, i havent had it turned past 3 in the back, i am going to try one and two for staight line, but curves are fun as hell. I do miss the soft stock stuff sometimes b/c it is kind of hard but not as harsh of a ride compared to my friends 00 SS with the BMR trak pak and Eibach pro kit all around. the 17's are tucked way in on her, im going to borrow a set of 17's soon so i can see how well it sits, im still on the 16's... pics to follow, give me time, i work two jobs...
Old 10-20-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok, UPDATE, right front strut broke- there was a ton of play in it and was clucnking around.. tried to swap to some basic monroe struts and the lip to put the collar that holds the bottom of the spring was tiny, i dont trust it, so back to stock struts and springs... rear shocks seem to be holding up good, but i did not want to put the BMR springs on the decarbon struts, so they are off the car and will go to sale... also will go is my B&M racecooler and huge stainless braided lines with russell fittings... not gonna be modding for quite a while, in a tight jam, car might even have to go, cant afford her...
Old 10-21-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice ride hight, any plans for new rims?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

back to stock height, was gonna use ASA AR1's black with polished lip, 18's all around...