Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring rate questions along with set-up questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spring rate questions along with set-up questions

Search is failing me once again....so sorry if this has been asked before.

I am just starting to understand spring rates. The lower the number the softer the spring and the more motion it has, correct?
Also...how exactly does a progressive spring work? Gets stiffer as pressure is on it?? What about lifting off it??

My car is currently on the ProKit with stock shocks. I love the stance, and the ride isn't that bad. But it performs pretty weak at the track.
I am looking for a good spring to compliment both drag and street.

Car sees 95% street time, but when I do race, I want it to do well.
How are BMR or Hotchkis springs on the strip? Will also be replacing the shocks this winter, but undecided on those as well.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:59 AM
Launching!

As far as I know, the pro-kit fronts are flat 400lb/in springs. I had those with slp bilsteins, car handled alright. You're right about the stance though, it was sweet! Progressive springs will increase the spring rate (stiffness) as the spring is compressed.

as far as "lifting off it" as the spring is allowed to extend, the spring rate will decrease depending on how far the spring is allowed to extend (i.e. whatever the spring rate is at that particular deflection.) You can think of it this way: the softer portion of the spring will compress first, over a certain point, the next stiffer part will compress and so on.

as far as shocks, the bilsteins are pretty decent, I would talk to sam strano about maybe doing his revalves. koni's a more $$$ but I love the ones i just installed.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

So what spring rates are generally the best for a f-body which is primarily a street car?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

No one else eh??
Old 08-24-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

You're going to get most of the action of your suspension drag racing in the rear, since that's where the weight is supposed to transfer. Honestly, without going to a full-out drag setup (which is very difficult for most to drive on the street all the time), a 1" drop spring up front, such as a BMR, hotchkis, etc. paired with the stock rear springs in the rear with 1-coil cut will give you that 1" drop stance, perform relatively well when drag racing, while still allowing good driveability.