Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QA1 shocks

does anyone have QA1 coil overs. what do you use them for street, strip and how do they feel. i am looking for a set up for drag, and road courses. does anyone have any information that could help with my situation. or any coilover kits that would be good for me. thanks for the help
Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are looking into any kind of handling performance stay away from QA1s, they are a drag shock no matter how they are marketed.
Give Sam Strano a call at stranoparts.com, he's a sponsor.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

well i am just trying to find some ppl that have some kinds of suspension mods and trying to compair to different ones. how they feel on the street\track\street courses. i hasve been looking on strano web site. but i just want some oppinions.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have single adjustable all the way around. They can be adjusted to be like stock for the street. On the most firm (12) they are horribly stiff. I don't see how they can't be used for cornering. Athough, I am not sure that they are marketed for reasons other than drag racing.

I don't know if single adjustables are really that great for drag racing because they aren't really 90/10 action. The rates are more like 60/40.
http://www.qa1.net/pdf_files/drag_ra...erformance.pdf

Perhaps double adjustable QA1's or some other shocks are better for drag racing.

Single adjustable QA1's have done all that I have asked them too though. I think they might work for what you want, too. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mighty mike
well i am just trying to find some ppl that have some kinds of suspension mods and trying to compair to different ones. how they feel on the street\track\street courses. i hasve been looking on strano web site. but i just want some oppinions.
Check out this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/754482-qa1-s-vs-koni.html

Sam has tried many different setups, designed his own springs and swaybars and has won events with them, I think he would know.

I ordered my Koni's from him and couldnt be happier, worth every penny. The car is so much more responsive, rides better, handles much better and is more predictable in the corners. If it means anything to you, I have yet to see any Koni owner go to QA1s, but I have seen vise versa.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I don't know if single adjustables are really that great for drag racing because they aren't really 90/10 action. The rates are more like 60/40.
HAL's R-Series front shock uses a 90/10 configuration. A necessity for late model F-body's looking for the ultimate weight transfer.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I have single adjustable all the way around. They can be adjusted to be like stock for the street. On the most firm (12) they are horribly stiff. I don't see how they can't be used for cornering. Athough, I am not sure that they are marketed for reasons other than drag racing.

Single adjustable QA1's have done all that I have asked them too though. I think they might work for what you want, too. Good luck.

Because "horribly stiff" doesn't mean good control. If things were as simple as stiff makes a car handle better, we'd all replace our shocks with steel rods. Fact is stiff it stiff, and that's all. Stiff doesn't necessarily equal control.

What's more is that there are folks around here who launch just as well (some better) on Koni's than they did on "drag shocks".

QA1's frankly are pretty chintzy. Old technology, cheap adjuster that simple limits the movement of shock oil, no gas charge, no velocity sensitivity in regards to piston speed beyond what you naturally get when you drag a piston through oil faster.

There is one way these shocks compare. Price. Not performance, not adjustment, nothing. Simply priced similarly, and sadly IMHO you don't get what you pay for in the QA1's.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!