Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano Springs

Does anyone know if Sam sells his rear springs alone. I am looking into get the QA1 coil overs in the front and QA1 shocks for the rear but not sure on what springs to get for the rear.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Only when I have some left over from a batch. I do not have any extra rears at this time. Further, they aren't a very good match for QA1 anything, front spring rate or front and rear shock valving.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Sam whats the difference between you blistiens and the ones that places like Speedinc and thunder racing sell. Also whats the price on your blistiens?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im looking for stiffer springs to go on my front coilovers. Does Sam make any the same size as stock springs stronger than 325 lb?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mook99ta
Hey Sam whats the difference between you blistiens and the ones that places like Speedinc and thunder racing sell. Also whats the price on your blistiens?
Revalves are very different. The damping in all 4 shocks is changed from a normal set of HD's. When we deem HD's appropriate, because they aren't always right (and when Bilstein has them) I use the same front shock, but a different valving in the rear. An older valving that they didn't screw up when they made "new and improved" HD's about 2 years ago. They screwed 'em up in the rear horribly badly. A set of HD's like I do them is $349. Revalves are $530 a set.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
Im looking for stiffer springs to go on my front coilovers. Does Sam make any the same size as stock springs stronger than 325 lb?
Yes, I can get you stiffer coil-over springs. Honestly you'll have an issue with controlling them really well since QA1's aren't very good dampers (and hence the reason the rates aren't super high). But if the car is lower via the coil-overs, added to the fact the QA1's don't use a bumpstop, more spring rate is in the offing.

You'd have to tell me the dimensions of the springs you currently have, free length, OD, ID. When I know that I can tell you what rates we have to fit it and what I'd recommend.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Revalves are very different. The damping in all 4 shocks is changed from a normal set of HD's. When we deem HD's appropriate, because they aren't always right (and when Bilstein has them) I use the same front shock, but a different valving in the rear. An older valving that they didn't screw up when they made "new and improved" HD's about 2 years ago. They screwed 'em up in the rear horribly badly. A set of HD's like I do them is $349. Revalves are $530 a set.
What about the SLP Bilstein's are they comparable to your revalves?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They are softer in compression in the front, stiffer in the rear, softer in rebound in front, softer in rebound in the rear. So while they have more rebound than HD's do in front, they do not in the back, and the front also has less compression damping than HD's.

They aren't the same.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Sam; I don't know if I've ever asked this before or not, will your rear springs (if/when you do have separate rears available) work with the GC kit's weight jackers/adjustable perches?? Or is the bottom pigtail not the same as the kit's rear springs?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They'd fit, but be way too tall. GC's use 11" tall springs, my springs are about 13". The car would sit high with weight jackers underneath.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are softer in compression in the front, stiffer in the rear, softer in rebound in front, softer in rebound in the rear. So while they have more rebound than HD's do in front, they do not in the back, and the front also has less compression damping than HD's.

They aren't the same.
so which are better, I would call and speak to you in person but I am in Iraq so.....
Old 09-02-2007, 08:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Neither is meant for lowering springs and great handling. The SLP's have some good, and some worse than Hd's and vice-versa. This is why we do Revalves or Koni's. We either Revalve the Bilstein's with more rebound without taking the compression out, or run Koni's which allow you to choose the damping force levels you like best.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What would be a good spring to use with those shocks?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I can get you stiffer coil-over springs. Honestly you'll have an issue with controlling them really well since QA1's aren't very good dampers (and hence the reason the rates aren't super high). But if the car is lower via the coil-overs, added to the fact the QA1's don't use a bumpstop, more spring rate is in the offing.

You'd have to tell me the dimensions of the springs you currently have, free length, OD, ID. When I know that I can tell you what rates we have to fit it and what I'd recommend.
Im running QA1 coilovers in the front and the dimensions are 2.125" Upper I.D., 2.5" Lower I.D. and 15" of free length. Im looking for more than 325 lb. Somewhere between 400-450 lbs.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Those aren't regular race springs which are 2.5" all the way through..... Sounds like something they having made for themselves to fit the stock upper shock mount.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mook99ta
What would be a good spring to use with those shocks?
The only springs I'd use with those shocks are SLP Level 1 springs. We are also an SLP dealer, fwiw. I'm still not a big fan of either the shocks or the springs, and frankly for similar money you could run Koni's on the lower perch and the rear isolator mod, get similar looks and a hell of a lot better damping, as well as the ability to adjust that damping.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those aren't regular race springs which are 2.5" all the way through..... Sounds like something they having made for themselves to fit the stock upper shock mount.
What are the lb rate on your lowering springs (part # SP141)? Do they fit on the stock upper shock mount? I was just wondering because I am still going to use my QA1's until I purchase some Koni's.

Last edited by 2000KnightRider; 09-04-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think I've answered this about 5 times now 2000KnightRider. I just did it an an e-mail to you directly about 2 hours ago.

My springs are 550 lb/in front, 150 lb/in rear. They are stock replacement springs, they sit in place of OEM springs, just like Eibach's, or Hotchkis, or H&R's, or any other lowering springs do. They lower the car approximately 1.2" from stock ride height.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I've answered this about 5 times now 2000KnightRider. I just did it an an e-mail to you directly about 2 hours ago.

My springs are 550 lb/in front, 150 lb/in rear. They are stock replacement springs, they sit in place of OEM springs, just like Eibach's, or Hotchkis, or H&R's, or any other lowering springs do. They lower the car approximately 1.2" from stock ride height.
Sorry about that Sam. I dont have access to my email here at work. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Strano Springs