Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Improving handling after new shocks/tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Improving handling after new shocks/tires?

What else improves handling? My SS 99 f-body w/ Beisteins, new tires etc. does not handle well.

Is this body flex, poor suspention design or something else? Is thsi a hopeless caue or can you add a few things and get decent results?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe your new Bisltein's aren't all that..... I have no idea what you are trying to change, as there is not one definition of "handling", it's an idea and a culmination of a number of things like feel, response, balance, ride, dealing with bumps and so on.

You've been hanging around here for a while (5 years if your join date is right). By now I'd hope you know details matter, and just because you might have changed a part doesn't mean it was the right part. Also doesn't mean it was the wrong one, I really can't say since I have no idea what you don't like.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
What else improves handling? My SS 99 f-body w/ Beisteins, new tires etc. does not handle well.

Is this body flex, poor suspention design or something else? Is thsi a hopeless caue or can you add a few things and get decent results?
Should have done a search before you bought the bilstiens, they are better than stock but you could have gotten better shocks.

Swaybars and springs will improve handling, but with your shocks now you dont want to go with aftermarket springs.

Call Sam strano at stranoparts.com.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

OK - thanks.

I have LT headers, stock wheels/tires in a street car, so I don't want change the springs/ride height for fear of tearing off my exhaust.

The car feels loose when cornering. I'm not sure about the roll rate - it seems ok, however. If you ever drove a Ricer around a extreme corner you would say this car is exactly the opposite - it just does not want to corner well.

...the ride is a tad harsh with the SS package but not a real issue IMO.

Are there any suggestions to improve cornering ability?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would probably be helpful if you listed all of the modded/stock parts on the car.

It would be even more helpful if you just called Sam Strano on the phone and discussed this with him.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

OK - Sam is great!

Car is 99 F-body SS. The suspension is 100% stock (wheels, tires, springs, sway bars, LCA, UCA, etc.) except for HD Beilstein shocks purchased from Sam in 06.

I drove a new Mustang solid axle rental car recently in California. Boy, this car handled well - I was shocked! Anyway, it got me thinking that some mods might help my tired ride.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get decent results with stock springs (provided they've still got some spring left in them) and the bilsteins.

Sams 35/22 swaybar combo will really wake things up a bit. A rod end panhard bar is a nice part to have.

But if you really wanted to put all the ricers and that mustang rental car to shame, you'll probably need stiffer springs. FLP headers aren't that low from what i've heard, You could probably get away with a slight drop.

These cars have a strong chassis (despite what all the people trying to sell you stuff to make them stiffer say, and the people who buy into it) and the suspension design is great in the front and OK in the back (I just wish there were a true 3rd link as opposed to the torque arm and a watts linkage instead of the panhard bar) The real problem is that GM went cheap on the shocks, which limits what can be done for swaybars and springs so in order to get a ride that old geezers could live with on cheap shocks, everything had to be soft.

but with good shocks you can go with stiffer springs and stiffer swaybars and have vastly improved handling and often an improved ride.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
OK - thanks.

I have LT headers, stock wheels/tires in a street car, so I don't want change the springs/ride height for fear of tearing off my exhaust.

The car feels loose when cornering. I'm not sure about the roll rate - it seems ok, however. If you ever drove a Ricer around a extreme corner you would say this car is exactly the opposite - it just does not want to corner well.

...the ride is a tad harsh with the SS package but not a real issue IMO.

Are there any suggestions to improve cornering ability?
I don't know what you mean by "loose". Break it down to the simple stuff. Would you like it to roll less? Would you like it to pitch less? Do you not really car how much of either, but want to slow the roll rate down? Is it a roll issue (amount or speed of generation) at all, or is it a tire compliance problem?

I also own and work on Mustangs. And V-6 Mustangs don't even have rear swaybars. The shocks aren't bad, pretty similarly valved to a set of HD's. I don't really know what to help you with because I still don't understand what the big issue is. What did the Mustang do better if that's what you are comparing to?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You haven't listed the most basic ingredient of all: what kind of tires do you have on the car? You said they were new. By "stock" do you mean OE Goodyear RSA's? Or stock size? Or what?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Tires are new OEM Goodyear.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's not a help. That could be 245/50-16 RS-A's, the same size GS-C's, or 275/40-17 Eagle F1's. They are quite different. None the less I don't think this is the problem because I don't run super street tires on my car on the road (we save that $$$ for the Hoosier race tires).

Old 09-01-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just try a set of sway bars.. thats what im guna do