Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HOUSTON: do we have a problem...? (strut replacment!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Exclamation HOUSTON: do we have a problem...? (strut replacment!)

So I begin on my front shock replacement this morning and the first challenge was getting the brake master cylinder loose out of the way to get that one torx bolt loose.

After taking both nuts off the master cylinder mounting location and pulling it forward far enough to do what I need to do with out bending any lines, I notice the rod that comes thru the firewall is already separated from the master cylinder...??? Does it just PUSH on the master cylinder or did I pull something loose already!!!

WTF.

So has I see it, only these stages of this front shock job are the problematic areas:
  • torx bolt removal, master cylinder
  • top mounting nut, rusted maybe
  • separating the ball joint area, rusted maybe
  • spring compression, using the correct tools safely!
Other than that, pretty cut and dry replacement....correct?

Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 09-01-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup thats how it is with the mc. To seperate the ball joint I hit down on the outside edge of the a arm with a bfh and that worked great.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Just finished pulling both sides out, not too bad, by my self it took me about 3 hours which included many runs to my roll away chest inside for tools and to hunt 2x4 blocks, etc. A few whacks with a shop hammer and they broke apart. The only thing left to do is to pull the nuts on top which are soaking w/rust penetrant and take them to pep boys to have them compress the springs and swap out the shocks. 1/2 way home gents.

BTW-Found yet another f*&king screw in my tires, this makes like the 10th or 12th since I bought my car about 3 months ago, it came from the last owner with a combo of 5 nails & screws in the 4 tires, no extra fee for that, I kid you not, drove it all the way home from indiana like that too, I am a lucky S.O.B. for sure!!! This makes me want to hold off getting new tires for a while.

So NO rod connecting into the brake master cylinder?? It justs pushes on the piston rod? CORRECT??? :o
Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats correct with the MC no rod connecting the mc to the booster.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks "spdfrk1990"