Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed strano's bars.. nice

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed strano's bars.. nice

I installed the front 35mm sway bar on my TA today. Took a little persuasion but I got it in. Broke off a rusty end link and stripped a couple rusted bolts. The bar itself is just BARELY wide enough to bolt the mounting brackets to the car. And the actual brackets themselves needed slight modification to except the factory bolts. The holes were not big enough. But I got it in. Took it out for a test drive and it feels great. Definatly feels more planted. I will be installing the rear either tomorrow or thursday. Ill have some pics up and some more info on handling. Thanks Sam
Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

im interested to see how much the difference the rear bar makes
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am too
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger on the just barely wide enough part...if it was me, I would have made it just a HAIR wider. The d-bushings on mine don't like to sit right because they are so close to that curve, but it works, so I'll leave it. As for the brackets...they work without modification, you just have to thread the bolts through them...definitely a PITA though when trying to get everything lined up. Glad to know I wasn't the only one that had these problems/thoughts...
Old 09-11-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Roger on the just barely wide enough part...if it was me, I would have made it just a HAIR wider. The d-bushings on mine don't like to sit right because they are so close to that curve, but it works, so I'll leave it. As for the brackets...they work without modification, you just have to thread the bolts through them...definitely a PITA though when trying to get everything lined up. Glad to know I wasn't the only one that had these problems/thoughts...
X2 on the bushings being very close to the curved part. Mine seem to sit fine. Its very tight. And I suppose I could have thread the bolts through the brackets, but with having to force and stretch this thing into lace, it made it much easier to widen the holes.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Here we have a case where I can't see every detail on every bar since they are made elsewhere. The bend it tight because the bar is a larger diameter, and because it's hollow the bend has to be a bit larger radius. We don't like to leave lots of extra length on the bar that we don't need. It's more weight, and it's more to flex. Basically more material is more to bend (which is how bars work) and therefore slightly softer. In other words, if you take two bars the same size and tubing and all (say 35mm w/6mm wall tubing), but one uses 1" less material from endlink to endlink, that "shorter" bar is stiffer than the other bar.

All that said, I did make a call to just make sure Addco is aware of this and that there is not any changes in the way the bars are being bent. As for the U-brackets, that's something that's always been and I think the stamping die is just getting old and needs to be replaced, which I'm trying to get them to do.... just without much luck so far.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Here we have a case where I can't see every detail on every bar since they are made elsewhere. The bend it tight because the bar is a larger diameter, and because it's hollow the bend has to be a bit larger radius. We don't like to leave lots of extra length on the bar that we don't need. It's more weight, and it's more to flex. Basically more material is more to bend (which is how bars work) and therefore slightly softer. In other words, if you take two bars the same size and tubing and all (say 35mm w/6mm wall tubing), but one uses 1" less material from endlink to endlink, that "shorter" bar is stiffer than the other bar.

All that said, I did make a call to just make sure Addco is aware of this and that there is not any changes in the way the bars are being bent. As for the U-brackets, that's something that's always been and I think the stamping die is just getting old and needs to be replaced, which I'm trying to get them to do.... just without much luck so far.
Good to hear Sam...I'm gonna end up trying some different bushings at some point to see if they will sit a little better on the bar. The old Energy Suspension bushings looked to be a bit thinner, but that is a guess on my part. Time to dig out my calipers
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I wouldn't worry about it if it's not a problem.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I wouldn't worry about it if it's not a problem.
That's the problem Sam...I'm a perfectionist. Stuff like this will haunt me for years
Old 09-11-2007, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm only a perfectionist in so far as things working right, I'm more of a function over form type guy myself.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have no complaints towards you Sam or your company. It was just a little more difficult than I anticipated. I installed the rear bar today and that went smoothly. I am unable to really test the handling improvement today becasue of bad weather, But it already feels better. As for those pictures you asked me to send, I still havnt gotten around to it, but i will soon. Thank you very much for all your help and fast responses.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Just to add... my bar fit tight, but not too tight. The bushings sit perfectly. This one what bought about 6 months ago.

Very nice step up in control.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Driver side bushing mount:

Passenger side:
Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The driver's side on yours is exactly what BOTH of mine look like...
Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

same with me... works fine though. Im not worried about it.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

did you lube it up good...the picture looks kinda dry?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

what kinda lube do you guys use?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

I used that green tacky sythetic stuff from advance auto... or the energy suspension packets at autozone stick very well. They sell them with their poly parts or seperate.

Synthetic marine grease is also a good choice.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I just wanted to point out a few things.... The bushings do need to be well lubricated, I use synthetic wheel bearing grease myself. Urethane cold-flow and will form itself nicely into that little bend in short order. The way the bushing and bend are in close proximity keeps the bar from "walking" back and forth as the endlinks pull and push on it.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very good Sam. I am happy with the handling results anyway. Just gotta lube it up.

Quick Reply: Installed strano's bars.. nice