Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about motor mounts and upgrading to tubular K-member.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about motor mounts and upgrading to tubular K-member.

My transmission keeps moving forward and backwards, causing a horrible clunking whenever I change direction of power. I already destroyed a ES poly trans mount and have a Prothane on there now. It's ok at first, but the symptoms keep coming back. I can see the trans mount isn't for forward and backwards movement. The only solution I can see working is that my motor mounts may be shot. I took a quick look at them and didn't see anything, but that doesn't prove much. My question is a two parter.

1. The motor mounts are what limits the forwards and backwards movement of the transmission right? I get a little shake from the engine on start up, but nothing too radical. My mounts were toast on my RWD 240sx and I didn't have the problem I'm having now. Then again, their transmission mount had a different design.

2. I've read on how much of a PITA it is to change the mounts, upwards of a 10 hour job. I've been looking into getting the tubular k member, upper/lower a arm package anyway and I guess this would be a good time to change it. Will that make the job a lot easier?

Thanks.