Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any advantage in using C5 calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any advantage in using C5 calipers?

...now considering an F-body brake conversion. Apparently, some brake conversion brackets permit the use of the existing F-body caliper with the larger C5 brake rotors.

Since the C5 and F-body calipers are both two-piston units with similar sized pads, I'm wondering if there is any advantage to using the C5 calipers or will the F-body caliper performance be similar?

My car is a street vehicle only.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

The C5 calipers are stronger so they don't "bow" out as much during hard braking. They also have smaller pistons which have some other advantages but I'm not sure what they are.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Would you expect bowing w/ f-body calipers if driven as a street car?

Do C5 calipers weigh more; I hate more unsprung weight?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

caliper spread on the street is probably not a problem, a few people report to have had problems but considering how many cars are out there that have never had a problem with stock brakes, I wouldn't worry about it unless I were racing.

As for unsprung weight, your total unsprung weight (which is likely a lot) will only change by an immaterial percentage- especially on the street

And if even your front tires were filled with lead, you'd still have more unsprung weight in the back. thanks to a couple hundred pounds of solid axle, driveshaft, wheels and tires hanging out back there.

About the best you can do, short of a custom carbon-leaf suspension with aluminum arms, inverted shocks and inboard brakes (or just buying another car)... is to just get good springs, good swaybars, good shocks and maybe some lightweight wheels.

Last edited by OldeSkool; 09-28-2007 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Any advantage in using C5 calipers?