Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How long do these shocks last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do these shocks last?

Hey, this may be a dumb question but how long would koni adjustable shocks last? And are they rebuilable for cheap? Or can you rebuild them?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

they have a lifetime warranty. not sure how it works.

I'll probably send mine in after about 50 or 60 thousand miles whether they "need" it or not- may have to pay a charge, but it beats the heck out of buying them again.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

lifetime warranty only applies to the original owner.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

... one good reason why you should buy them new
Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

I saw two pakages on their website....one was about 450 and the other one was 850+....whats the difference? Being able to adjust them? Also, how do you adjust them?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you sure?

450 for the front SA's only is about right 850 for the front DA's only could be correct.

To the best of my knowlege the only shocks available for 4th gen F-bodies from Koni are single adjustable that run about 800 for the four and double adjustable that are something like 1200 for the four.

There are cheaper non adjustable shocks for other cars and i think maybe previous generations of f-bodies, but not 4th gen
Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

There are single adjustable rear shocks (for 3rd gen f bodies), which are NOT adjustable on the car (like the 4th gen version), but will still fit/work on 4th gens. These are less $$$ than the on car/top adjustable 4th gen rear Konis.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

right. and sense most people just leave the rears on full soft, you can save some money without costing too much frustration when adjusting

another option if you really need to save is Koni front Bisltein rear.. but it was worth it to me just to get koni 4ths all around
Old 09-28-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently replaced my Koni rears under warranty. There's no fee involved, except paying the shipping charges to return the shocks to Koni. They give you two options for warranty service.

The first is you send the shocks to them, they fix or replace them at their discretion and return them to you (unless they deem the damage falls outside warranty coverage).

The second is you pay a deposit to have a new set of shocks sent to you, swap them out, and return the old shocks to them. Once they've evaluated the shocks qualify for warranty coverage they reimburse what you paid. If they determine the shocks don't qualify for warranty, you just bought a new set of shocks. That's the path I took. Took them a little over a week to send the new shocks to me, and roughly 3 weeks to reimburse the up front money I deposited once I sent them my old shocks. The deposit is 50% of the list value of the shocks.

They do require a copy of your original receipt for warranty repair. Strano was able to provide me with a copy though, and I've since stashed it away for future warranty service.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all... I'm considering ponying up the money for some koni's as well. However, I'm assuming the warranty does not cover normal wear and tear? If I needed them rebuilt, how much would that cost me (non-warranty)? This is definitely an issue for me if I am going to spend almost 900 bucks. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by jRaskell
I recently replaced my Koni rears under warranty. There's no fee involved, except paying the shipping charges to return the shocks to Koni. They give you two options for warranty service.

The first is you send the shocks to them, they fix or replace them at their discretion and return them to you (unless they deem the damage falls outside warranty coverage).

The second is you pay a deposit to have a new set of shocks sent to you, swap them out, and return the old shocks to them. Once they've evaluated the shocks qualify for warranty coverage they reimburse what you paid. If they determine the shocks don't qualify for warranty, you just bought a new set of shocks. That's the path I took. Took them a little over a week to send the new shocks to me, and roughly 3 weeks to reimburse the up front money I deposited once I sent them my old shocks. The deposit is 50% of the list value of the shocks.

They do require a copy of your original receipt for warranty repair. Strano was able to provide me with a copy though, and I've since stashed it away for future warranty service.
If you do it the way you did it, how much out of pocket do you have to pay, all said and done? If you don't want to list a dollar value, just the percentage of what you paid for the shocks new would suffice...I couldn't quite figure that part out.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Addict

So no one has ever had to have their koni's rebuilt? There has to be at least one guy!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good topic! I was about to start a thread like this since I just bought me some
Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

In case regardless, the Konis should last you a very long time. I think Sam has used one pair for many many years and given his car beatings and said they were still working fine.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

A standard rebuild is about $150 or so per shock, assuming it only needs new seals and such. Add more for broken parts. Not sure this is a huge concern, though. While not impossible to break (Koni told me they had 9 warranties on fronts last year), they are generally covered with no issue if you are the original purchaser. I'll warn you now, that 2" springs, and springs that aren't stiff enough can and do break shocks. I know folks have broken shocks from bottoming them internally (hell I have due to an accident), and should Koni find that they won't be warrantied.

I advise my customers to call me first if they have a warranty to process.

I sold a set last year that were over 10 years old. They were fine, only came off the car chasing an issue that turned out to be something else. Because I had new ones, I sold the old ones.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: How long do these shocks last?