Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Have KYB AGX shocks, need a spring reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 04:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Have KYB AGX shocks, need a spring reccomendation

OK I've been reading through this forum the last 2 hours. Everyone seems to dislike the KYB AGX's, but that's what I've got. The really bad news is it has one of the worst springs out there on it, the Eibach Sportlines. I hate these springs with a passion. I've eliminated all bouncing of them by setting the fronts on 8 and the rears on 4. The car corners very well (lots of susp work done) and dead hooks 3.73 gears on a 245 series street tire from a stop.

I hate that the car is as low as it is. What spring would be reccomended for these shocks? I was thinking of getting the SLP springs to help raise the car up some and not be as bouncy on lower stiffness settings.
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=70009

I'd change these out, but i don't feel like spending that much money on this car. I can live with the KYB's set on 8 in the front, it doesn't really bother me.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to trade for SLP Level II springs? 350/400 in the front, 115-185 Rear?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
Want to trade for SLP Level II springs? 350/400 in the front, 115-185 Rear?
I have no place to store my car with no suspension on it. Those springs are front 300-450 rear 115-185 according to http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
How would the swap work? I can't have this car down for more than a day.

I think the SLP Level 1's would work best for my application though.

Last edited by Zombie; 09-29-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

give sam strano a pm, he will point you in the best possible direction for what you want and can afford.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

holy crap, tainted actually gave good advise for once. Check out Strano, I hear his springs are BAR NONE to anything else out there! Cant beat em.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I always have some good input tyvm. I just like to joke around some, no sense in being dead serious all the time right?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
holy crap, tainted actually gave good advise for once. Check out Strano, I hear his springs are BAR NONE to anything else out there! Cant beat em.
Ummm.... All he said was "don't ask me, ask someone else".... I guess that counts as good advice.

(I jest )
Old 09-30-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Second Club

I've got a call into Sam, he's out of town until monday. I'll give him a ring then.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

I'm trying out the Strano springs after talking to Sam.

I wasn't impressed with his attitude though, he pretty much treated me like a dick. I know very little about suspension (and stated this) and was seeking some help. He was pretty damn abrasive about the whole thing. I was pretty much chastised for not knowing the correct terms and not giving him enough info. I'm not a mind reader, if i'm not telling you something you need to know, ask me. I don't know what info you need in order to help me. Maybe he was just having a case of the Mondays. On the other hand I had talked to who I think was his wife on Sat, she was very pleasant and really helpful.

Last edited by Zombie; 10-01-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zombie
I'm trying out the Strano springs after talking to Sam.

I wasn't impressed with his attitude though, he pretty much treated me like a dick. I know very little about suspension (and stated this) and was seeking some help. He was pretty damn abrasive about the whole thing. I was pretty much chastised for not knowing the correct terms and not giving him enough info. I'm not a mind reader, if I'm not telling you something you need to know, ask me. I don't know what info you need in order to help me. Maybe he was just having a case of the Mondays. On the other hand I had talked to who I think was his wife on Sat, she was very pleasant and really helpful.
while i will never buy or recommend buying from stores with poor customer service and refuse to help customers that don't purchase from them... the only thing i would buy from a store like that is springs and purchase other items from more friendly and cheaper sponsors
Old 10-02-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by greenherb
while i will never buy or recommend buying from stores with poor customer service and refuse to help customers that don't purchase from them... the only thing i would buy from a store like that is springs and purchase other items from more friendly and cheaper sponsors
I have never talked to Sam directly but the woman who answered the phone was super nice to talk to. I have never read anything bad about Sam. Maybe you caught him on a bad day or maybe it was just you. Either way, good luck.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I cannot answer vague questions like "how will my car ride"? I use the analogy of going to doctor a lot, because it's accurate. If you can't tell me what you want to change, I can't recommend parts. Sure, I could have just told you something like: My springs rock, they're the best, you have to have them.

It's YOUR car. Not mine. I'm completely willing to answer questions and work though a process. I've been gone for two weeks. I'm sick. And I'm not a here to give every single person a complete primer on how a suspension works. If you have questions, ask them. I try and inform folks of things I feel are important, but I can't help it if you can't tell me with some clarity what you are after. I'm not a mind reader either.

Here's the info I need to help you. Tell me what you don't like about they way the car drives. And "I don't like how it handles" isn't good enough. Again, tell the doctor "I don't feel well" and see what they can do to help you from there. I'm not a chain jerker, and I won't sell you parts you don't need. You don't have to like me, you simply have to know that I'm not out to screw you. I don't believe you'd have preferred me to have said you need A, B, and C because I said so, would you?

And greenherb... I will not support product purchased from other vendors. I don't think you'll do work for other people in your office and let them collect the paycheck.

I'm sorry I'm sick. I don't mean to offend. But I'd be nice if you realize that I'm no more able to read your mind than you are mine.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

hope you feel better sam, you have my $$ when Im ready for my shocks and springs if that makes you feel better
Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Zombie- So you like the KYB's and the sportlines for handling just not looks? I'm so torn on what spring shock combo I should get so any info you got is great. I'm thinking the KYBs and the Pro Kit. I dive the car everyday to and from work but it will soon be a weekend only car. I don't race, I dont drag, I just drive. So like i said any info would be great.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by PopaPork
Zombie- So you like the KYB's and the sportlines for handling just not looks? I'm so torn on what spring shock combo I should get so any info you got is great. I'm thinking the KYBs and the Pro Kit. I dive the car everyday to and from work but it will soon be a weekend only car. I don't race, I dont drag, I just drive. So like i said any info would be great.
I know that question wasn't aimed at me but I had sportlines and bilstein shocks and the answer is a big no. From what I have read the KYB's aren't any better.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

I do not like the KYB's and Sportlines. Unless I have the fronts on setting 8 and the rears on 6, the car rides down the road like it has cut springs. With them set on 8 and 6 it doesn't ride too bad. The sportlines are just too low for my liking. I'm not trying to race this car at all. It has tons of susp parts on it from the previous owner and i'm trying to fix some of his goofs, like putting sport line springs on it and then not using spring isolators on the perches or greasing the poly bushings in the control arms.

I'm giving Sam's springs a shot. If I still don't like how the car rides I'll go with a better shock setup. I'm ok with a firm suspension, i'm not ok with a suspension that oscilates just driving down the road (bouncing ricer on cut springs look).
Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LILJay- What about Bils and Pro Kit?

Quick Reply: Have KYB AGX shocks, need a spring reccomendation