Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any advantage to braided brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any advantage to braided brake lines?

I have heard that the factory rubber brake lines are steel braided inside the rubber line and that the claim that these lines bulge under pressure is not true.

If that is the case, is there any advantage to steel braided lines?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm yes and no.... If you track you're car (not drag racing) the high-speed constant stops can cause lines to expand due to pressure in them. However, alot of "brake feel" (i.e. "softness") depends on the type of fluid you have. Brake fluid does "wear out" because of water and air trapped in the system.

I believe switching to a higher quality fluid would have more of an effect than switching to SS lines.

I do not believe, however, that factory lines are braided steel. They are similar to an air hose in construction, with braided synthetic fibers covered in rubber.

Having said this, SS lines do not expand like rubber lines and might have an advantage but not like changing fluid would. But, if they look bad and leak, change them and the fluid.

It also depends what you plan to do with the car. Some racing classes do not allow them. Specifically, Stock SCCA classes for Solo (autocross). In your class, F-Stock.

Quick Reply: Any advantage to braided brake lines?