Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want new suspension. Suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want new suspension. Suggestions.

Well I've had the Eibach pro-kit and Bilstein shocks on my car for about 5000 miles now. And basically, I've grown tired of the setup. Springs feel too soft, and I'm getting the infamous "rear spring sag". The Bilsteind seem fine, but I dont think I purchased the correct type of Bilstein for the springs. I dont know if theyre HDs, revalves, or just a normal, stock replacement type. I wanted to save some money and lower the car a mediocre way. But now that I'm getting more into the handling aspect, I want more out of my suspension. I know a lot of people are runnning Strano's springs and Konis and say they love them. But I'm looking for something a little more serious. I would love coilovers. Something that will be matched perfectly. However, I haven't really heard of or seen a decent coilover kit that anyone has been too crazy about. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

from what i've read

coilovers are expensive (the "good" ones are anyway)
they're irritating (the rear springs fall out)
and they're not a direct fit install (at least not with konis)

Feel free to correct me on any of that

But unless you go with more spring rate than Strano (which I don't know that anyone would go more than 650 or whatever his is.. he experimented with his own coilovers to come up with that) You're not going to get any better performance than Stranos/Konis, but you'll pay a lot more.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any other opinions?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you looking at a coil over kit for adjustability reasons or is there some other motivation?

I would just pick up a set of Strano springs (550 / 180) which will get rid of that soft suspension feel and a set of revalves or konis to match them. JMO...

You already have the Strano bars... why not pick up his springs and have a truly well mached set up, where individual parts are designed to work together?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm all for the "don't be a lemming" thing. But some combos are common because they flat work. I have the Koni S/A & Strano Spring combo and love it. It rides as a sports car should have from GM, and I have helped my lap times at the track w them. I'm definately not the only one who can say that.

Thats the beauty of the forum, you can read testimates to what does (konis/strano springs) and what doesn't (cheap shocks/eibach springs) work. Really, Strano Springs will loose that "soft" feeling, I promise. And without being overly harsh.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. Ill definitely consider the strano/koni setup.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

There is a fatal flaw in the thought process here. To assume that my stuff isn't serious handling because they aren't coil-overs would be a mistake.

To begin with, the spring rate and ride heights are derived directly from my own car (which has coil-overs on it). I just tried to save folks trouble and money by taking what I use, which is well proven and putting into lowering springs that are easy to install.

There are other coil-overs out there. QA1's which are completely not serious about control. LG's which are Bilstein race shocks that aren't adjustable for damping (and that's bothersome to me), and use rear spring rates that are far too high IMHO. Some may disagree and that's cool. I'm simply telling you my thoughts. There are also Ground Control and Global Wests that basically install over the shocks you have. But they have some issues too, like the rear springs coming loose @ full droop, modification of from Koni's for installation and so forth. Just because you can move the ride height around doesn't mean it's better, and can lead to other issues like no working travel, bumpsteer, camber curve issues....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There is a fatal flaw in the thought process here. To assume that my stuff isn't serious handling because they aren't coil-overs would be a mistake.

To begin with, the spring rate and ride heights are derived directly from my own car (which has coil-overs on it). I just tried to save folks trouble and money by taking what I use, which is well proven and putting into lowering springs that are easy to install.

There are other coil-overs out there. QA1's which are completely not serious about control. LG's which are Bilstein race shocks that aren't adjustable for damping (and that's bothersome to me), and use rear spring rates that are far too high IMHO. Some may disagree and that's cool. I'm simply telling you my thoughts. There are also Ground Control and Global Wests that basically install over the shocks you have. But they have some issues too, like the rear springs coming loose @ full droop, modification of from Koni's for installation and so forth. Just because you can move the ride height around doesn't mean it's better, and can lead to other issues like no working travel, bumpsteer, camber curve issues....
I didnt intend to make it sound like I thought poorly of your suspension parts. I know you know what youre talking about. I just thought coilovers were "the best". But from what I'm hearing here, it seems like theyre too much of a hassle on our cars, and too expensive. I would like some adjustability, for when I do the occasionally drag strip adventure.
Seems like a lot of people are happy with your spring/shock setup, and it is something I will definitely think about. I'm just trying to get over the fact that I just bought my setup, and it feels like I'm throwing away money. So I'll have to take time to give all this some thought.
Thanks again for all the help.
P.S. Also, thank you, Sam, for the quick delivery on the brake lines and fluid I ordered from you.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I never thought you were saying anything was junk. We are on the same page. I was really only pointing out that some folks think coil-overs are a lot better because they are coil-overs without maybe thinking much beyond that point. I was simply making a point that "coil-overs" aren't all good, or all bad, or even the close to the same between differing brands.

In the end, coil-overs are all different. Different dampers, different spring rates, the only common is the adjustable ride height and ability to change spring rates. But you really shouldn't just change rate because you can, because the damper might not be able to handle the rates you are wanting to use.

I understand completely where you are coming from Michael, and I am in no way upset. I was just making some points that fit well with your original post.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just because you can move the ride height around doesn't mean it's better, and can lead to other issues like no working travel, bumpsteer, camber curve issues....
There is one more issue with coilovers that Sam did not mention (but I know he was thinking). IF you do not corner weight, and set these up properly, you can actually go backwards in handling/control.

I only went to the Ground Control over Koni setup because NO ONE made a decent linear rate spring set at the time. It was the ONLY way to get linear rate springs front and rear.
BELIEVE ME, IF Sam's springs were available at the time they would be on my car NOW!!! And I would still have my front Koni warranty in effect (it is now voided due to the modifications needed to fit the Ground Control set up on the front).

Quick Reply: Want new suspension. Suggestions.