Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Curbed the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curbed the car

As the title says, I decided to be that guy and romp it around a corner. Car got sideways and hit the curb pretty much head on. I ended up on the sidewalk. Got home and to my surprise, no popped tire, no bent rim (as far as I can tell), and the car even seems to drive straight. Is there anyway I didn't damage anything? What could I have damaged and the car still drives ok? Car is going into the shop tonight.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Check PHR and LCAs for straightness.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Lets see if I remember my accronyms. Check the panhard rod and the lower control arms. Anything else?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, you got lucky! I did that and it took out all sorts of stuff; 2 tires, bent wheel, chipped paint on front bumper, both tie rod ends, tie rod inner sleeve ripped, and it still won't drive straight after 3 alignments. My camber is out of whack and a lot of dumbasses were trying to tell me you can't adjust the camber on these cars. I'll be going over to a tubular k member and a-arms soon so hopefully that'll fix it.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Launching!

^^^ Well, I don't know that I'm all that lucky yet. The car is in the shop right now, I haven't heard anything yet. I will post up when I find out.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Here is the update. Car was toe in, they fixed that with the alignment. Had the rims balanced and one is slightly bent. According to them it was not even bad enough to worry about. What do you guys think about that? How much is one chrome ZR1?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Lucky man...
Old 09-15-2007, 05:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd drive the car and see if you get any weird shakes or vibrations. Mine would make the car kind of shutter a little. Dumbasses who put the tires on it the first time said the wheel wasn't bent. Then the third people showed me and said it was majorly bent. I got a new C5 18x9.5 wheel shipped to my house for $199.00 from TomZ wheels.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How fast were you going? I slid into a curb at no more then 10MPH. Popped the tire, bent the rim and the LCA. I ended up tweaking the hub also.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Teching In

I also curbed the car and it broke the rim and bent all sorts of stuff. I ended up parting the car out. By the way, I have a set of hotchkis springs with the koni adjustables for sale $850. Standard Strano Setup. PM me for more info.

Anyway, just get the rear end checked too. Hope it doesn't whine or anything.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Launching!

I am not exactly sure how fast I was going. I turned the corner and got into it and with the .410's it just broke em loose like nothing, got sideways and hit the curb pretty much head on. I'm like you guys, I was astonished that at least a tire wasn't popped. I will take it out on the freeway the next chance I get and see if it vibrates or makes noise.

Anthracis- thanks for the offer but I'm getting tired of spending money on this thing
Old 09-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Launching!

i did just about the samething as all of you guys. got side ways into a curb. popped 2 right, bent both wheels, cracked front fender, scraped side skirt.. and i don tknow the specifics with suspension, but i know both were shot.. took it to the shop. got everything "fixed" everything seemed fixed as i tested it even after it was done. my mistake was not to test it on the free way as well. come to find out.. when im on highway speeds and slowly decelerate, i have an annoying rattling sound in the right rear.. sucks.. so before you leave the shop, test it out on road and highway conditions to check any rattles... btw anyone know what could be my problem?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bringing back up

Anyone know what a curbed rear-end looks like? I have 94 Camaro I am working on, and it seems to fit that kind of damage, Left rear wheel sits leaning out, and the right wheel does the opposite. Sort of like this...\--0--\ The fender gap on the left side is about a fist sized gap, and the right side is about 3 fingers. Just by eyeballin it, it looks like the rear sits over towards the pass side some. I first thought bent frame, but the doors, hatch, t-tops, hood all seem to close decent enough.

Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

How fast were you going? In my line of work, i see cars that have been curb checked alot. never heard of one driving home with no problems... if you weren't going that fast i guess i could see it happening. Getting it checked is a good idea though
Old 10-12-2007, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Psyko you may have had the car curbed but most of our rears aren't centered from the factory.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aaronbetzner
Psyko you may have had the car curbed but most of our rears aren't centered from the factory.
Well, got under and looked at everything, the panhard bar is bent pretty nicely. Also the left side backing plate is bent, looks like it was what smashed the bumpstop to pieces. I took the Panhard bar loose and bent it back for now.

As for ride height, I pulled the springs out and re-seated them in their perches.

Now the car is basically normal again. Things are not so out of whack anymore. The ride height is pretty even now, maybe 1/8" to 1/4" difference. I will be replacing the panhard bar, LCA's and bumpstops soon though.

Quick Reply: Curbed the car