Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stiffness of Poly Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiffness of Poly Motor Mounts

Anyone have any idea how the different poly motor mounts stack up on stiffness. I just know of Spohn and Prothane. I want to go to poly, but I'd kind of like to get the softest poly out there. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Prothane,and have no issues at all.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

for the most part, poly is poly....they will be the same (or at least the difference will be negligible)

I run Prothane mounts, but would buy any sponsors mounts if I had to do it again. I love the mounts! Just not putting them in!

Erik
Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

poly is poly.. i have prothane and love them.

easy to install with headers or manifolds out of the way
Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
poly is poly.. i have prothane and love them.

easy to install with headers or manifolds out of the way
True...I can't even tell the difference while driving, no vibrations or anything like that. Glad I put them in though, they weren't that bad to do with the headers out of the way.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whats entailed with installing them when the headers are out of the way and how long to install them? I just put heads and cam on my car and its shakin like a strippers ***.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
Whats entailed with installing them when the headers are out of the way and how long to install them? I just put heads and cam on my car and its shakin like a strippers ***.
With the exhaust manifolds out, it took me and a friend about 4 hours to do solid mounts on jack stands. We didn't even take out the A/C or the alt out. Used a swivel, some extensions and a few ratchet wrenches and they all came out and went back in. Can't say I would do it again though.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have prothane mounts and they made a big difference with my exhaust banging problem, i got a couple small vibrations at idle when cold, but onc eit warms up they go away for some reason. I would def. reccomend these, although they are a major bitch to put in and i would never do it again, they were worth the time and effort. BTW, i installed mine with the headers on, only thing i removed was a small heat shield and the starter.Good Luck Man!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run prothane very big help my engine don't shake due to my cam now.

EDIT: I have m6 with stock tranny mount. I really like how it firmed up , I would highyl suggest using these mounts, much better than stockers!

Last edited by coolformula; 10-18-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please don't say poly is poly. If you mean the durometer of the Spohn and Prothane LS1 motor mounts are the same, then say that. Poly can be super soft to rock hard depending on how the materials are mixed and companies that make them will determine how hard or soft each individual part needs to be.

As far as the motor mounts go, I recently put in the Prothane mounts and there were no adverse effects I can notice. I like that my shifter no longer torques over under load.

My engine was out, so installation was real easy, but I did take some pics of taking the clamshells apart and reassembling them with the new inserts if you need help in that area.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks Jason, maybe no one knows, but I was basically asking if anyone knew the durometer of each poly mount. If you have those pictures, I wouldn't mind looking at them, always willing to accept offered help.

Sounds like prothanes are ok. Does anyone run Spohn poly's? I haven't heard much about them. Thanks.

Also, you guys who say you have poly motor mounts and love them, would you mind telling us what transmission mount you are using and whether it's A4 or M6. Seems that peoples issues with vibration vary according to these factors.

Last edited by SS BadaSS; 10-18-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using spohn solid mounts and a poly transmission mount. Only bad vibrations I get are on cold start-up. Not everyone's cup of tea but I find it pretty tame contrary to popular belief. Side not-my QTP headers that had always rubbed on the steering shaft (there was a whole batch of these I'm told) now have great clearance.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS BadaSS
Thanks Jason, maybe no one knows, but I was basically asking if anyone knew the durometer of each poly mount.
I don't think they publish that stuff. They don't want to help the competition. I can say that they felt very stiff and hard in my opinion so I was a bit worried about vibration, but the engine is pretty heavy so it seems to work out fine.

Originally Posted by SS BadaSS
Also, you guys who say you have poly motor mounts and love them, would you mind telling us what transmission mount you are using and whether it's A4 or M6. Seems that peoples issues with vibration vary according to these factors.
I have the M6. I swapped to the Energy Suspension trans bushing a while back. I trimmed the 2 humps on it before installing and have had no problems whatsoever. It just kept the shifter from moving up and down under load like it is supposed to. It's durometer felt pretty firm as well.

I also swapped to the ES torque arm bushing and have had no issues. It felt very soft and spongy in comparison to the trans and motor mounts, but since it is held so tightly that should not be a problem. It really needs the softness as the TA twists it under cornering. Hopefully they will all last a nice long time.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
I'm using spohn solid mounts and a poly transmission mount. Only bad vibrations I get are on cold start-up. Not everyone's cup of tea but I find it pretty tame contrary to popular belief. Side not-my QTP headers that had always rubbed on the steering shaft (there was a whole batch of these I'm told) now have great clearance.
My headers were doing that slightly before the cam install and big time with the cam in it. Will poly mounts or solid motor mounts get rid of that rubbing? Or just new headers?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No kidding..my QTP driver side header sat on the shaft and had a slight groove worn into my steering shaft. It wasn't that big a deal until I put the TRex in and then it was banging into it. Spohn solid mounts went in and now I have a 1/4" between the header and steering shaft. As a bonus they look cool, stopped the air lid tabs from popping out, and allowed me to solid mount my exhaust

Quick Reply: Stiffness of Poly Motor Mounts