Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what needs to be done to install the corvette rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what needs to be done to install the corvette rotors

the topic says it all, i just wanna know how much work, and if theres any fabbing involved in getting these in?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Restricted User

Look here
http://www.umiperformance.com/page.php?page=c5conv
Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

You weren't very specific, so I'll assume you want to install C5 rotors and C5 calipers on a 98+ LS1 or Trackbrackets or something similar [like the UMI brackets in the previous post by the guy who types faster than I can ]. The only fab work is cutting off the lower brake mount on the spindle. The upper mount isn't used, but isn't in the way. It only takes less than a minute per side with a Sawzall if you use the right blade (actually, use one fresh blade per side) and oil it a few times during the cut. You do have to remove the hub to make the cut, which can be a struggle, but an overnight soak with PB Blaster helps. Other than that, it's just wrenching.

If you just hang the old caliper out of the way with some wire, you can get most of the work done before disconnecting the brake lines. If replacing the flexible hose, go aherad and attach the caliper end. Then, just disconnect the old hose, quickly connect the new hose (all while leaving the MC cap on), and you won't even lose that much fluid.

Last edited by sgarnett; 10-16-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

ok thanks for the help on that. I have one more question
Would I be better off just buying brake rotors meant for the car? What brand should i be looking at to just get an all around better braking performance than the stock ones. I was just told that the corvette rotors brake really fast compared to stock, but if theres easier installs out there for the same performance than why not go with something meant for the car.

I appreciate the help guys.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you wanna use stock-style replacements, get some Brembo "blanks" rotors and either some Hawk HPS pads (for maximum street-level stopping, but with noticeable brake dust) or some Hawk ceramic pads (for better than stock stopping, with less brake dust than the HPS pads).
Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

I did the C5 swap because after putting new rotors and pads on there was a 1/2" wide contact area on the wheel side of the rotor, meaning the calipers were spread (aka deflection).
Plus my rotors were worked on 4 times under warranty due to being warped.
And the car was always driven normally.