Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sportline & Protkit T/A's...COME IN!!

Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportline & Protkit T/A's...COME IN!!

Just wanted to see some pictures of both on people cars. Please post pics and what shock/spring combo you have.

Please no debating on which spring is better or which to go with. All I want is to see differences in the cars height with the two spring combos and different shocks.

I also want peoples opinions on how well the combo rides.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres no debating it- sportlines are terrible
Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya know what....I asked you not to post anything but pictures or comment from experience. Thanks for your useless opinion. If you dont have any experience with sportlines how can you even make a comment about them? Do yourself a favor, stay out of this. Your making yourself sound like a fool.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

You must be having nightmares about springs. You've been making threads about sportlines for the past year. You know about the springs/rideheight/photo sticky right?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

LoL I have had stock cut springs and DMS springs and dont like either of them....The ride is fine. I just want my car LOWER. So im trying to see what the difference between sportlines and the prokit are.

Yean I saw the sticky but I wnat to see more than just one car.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Ya know what....I asked you not to post anything but pictures or comment from experience. Thanks for your useless opinion. If you dont have any experience with sportlines how can you even make a comment about them? Do yourself a favor, stay out of this. Your making yourself sound like a fool.
I dont need to have experience with a spring that has 2 inches of drop and 360 lb/in front and 80 lb/in rear rates. Thats too much drop and too little rate. you will be on the bump stops constantly, just like everyone else who has sportlines. Hell, even people with half the drop and twice the rate hit the stops frequently. If you want to be that low and dont give a crap about anything else, you may as well just not have any springs at all. Either way you'll be riding around on the bumpstops.

I know what you asked, you asked about springs but you asked all the wrong questions about springs. anyone who asks about springs and doesnt care about spring rates or handling characteristics or ability of shocks to dampen the springs doesn't have any business calling someone a fool... Fool
Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pro kit is the shiat. Ride is pretty good considering the drop
Old 10-17-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Yes, Sportlines are crap. And yes I have experience with them before I get called a fool. They are on the car right now waiting to be replaced by the strano springs sitting in my garage.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont have experience with Sportlines, but there is no doubt that they are terrible. The spring rate on the sprotlines is less than that of the pro-kit. BUT, the sportline lowers more. which makes no sense. the pro-kit spring rate is already way too low. I have the pro-kit now. They drop is nice, but they definitely too soft. I will be getting Stranos springs sometime.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

went to sportlines for that nascar 1mm off the ground look and immediately swapped to Hotchkis 1" drop and i LOVE everything about it. At first im like dam i almost went back to stock ride height but it looks real good and rides awesome at the same time. best of both worlds imho
Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
I dont need to have experience with a spring that has 2 inches of drop and 360 lb/in front and 80 lb/in rear rates. Thats too much drop and too little rate. you will be on the bump stops constantly, just like everyone else who has sportlines. Hell, even people with half the drop and twice the rate hit the stops frequently. If you want to be that low and dont give a crap about anything else, you may as well just not have any springs at all. Either way you'll be riding around on the bumpstops.

I know what you asked, you asked about springs but you asked all the wrong questions about springs. anyone who asks about springs and doesnt care about spring rates or handling characteristics or ability of shocks to dampen the springs doesn't have any business calling someone a fool... Fool
LOL you must not be able to read...I never called you a fool. I said your are making yourself sound like a fool. You are just like 95% of people on these boards. Once you hear something is good that makes the product golden or if you hear it is complete trash you automatically assume that the product is horrible. I asked for people experiences. Not their opinions. But thanks again for wasting more space in my thread and posting yet another useless comment.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont have any pics on here, but i can tell you, with sportlines on our WS.6, we got 2.25" at all 4 corners. I didnt mind them all that much, but driveways were always fun. The ride got a whole lot better when i put the SFCs in too.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll post some pics of my car on sportlines later when I get out of work, I can't log into photobucket here. I have Bilstien HDs since you wanted to know that. I have no problem hitting bumpstops either, just can't go over speed bumps or my deep tranny pan bottoms out. It rides about the same as it did stock, which is to say bone jarring with even the smallest imperfections in the road and annoyingly bouncy over rolling bumps, the rear will not stay planted around corners or during braking. Looks good though. (Note: to the people who will undoubtedly say something about my combo, it was fricken cheap and all I cared about was ride height at the time.)
Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

This is my hawk w/ the sportline kit.

IMO, besides the shitty performance the front is to low and it makes the front tires lean inward.

I have thought about putting the factory springs back in it to see the difference. (the sportlines were on it when I bought it)
Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL you must not be able to read...I never called you a fool. I said your are making yourself sound like a fool. You are just like 95% of people on these boards. Once you hear something is good that makes the product golden or if you hear it is complete trash you automatically assume that the product is horrible. I asked for people experiences. Not their opinions. But thanks again for wasting more space in my thread and posting yet another useless comment.
You did, its called implication. And another thing, i've ridden in a dozen f-bodies with various spring a shock combinations so i dont know where you get the idea that i dont have experience with sportlines. And theres a difference between hearing that something sucks and knowing the facts on something like spring rates and drop. You've already heard from others how the drop is lower than the sportlines and the rates are lower as well. You'd have to be a tard not to understand that rates and drop are more concrete than anyones opinion even if it is based on experience because peoples opinions vary as do their perspectives, biases and tolerance- processing factual information like spring rates is not subject to all the bs that you're trying to gather.

You can say that i sound like a fool all you want but the fact remains that you're basing your decision on springs on a single secondary factor and not considering the key points.

Would you buy an intake manifold based on how shiny it is disregarding its flow characteristics? Would you buy a camshaft based on its color and not consider its specs? No, but thats exactly what you're doing here, choosing springs based on subjective feedback and appearances.

Well best of luck, buy the sportlines, I don't care. You try to help someone and they get on your case about it.. not worth my time
Old 10-18-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its funny how the last 3 people said they arent as bad as everyone else says they are and they actually own them.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

LoL I have had stock cut springs and DMS springs and dont like either of them....The ride is fine. I just want my car LOWER. So im trying to see what the difference between sportlines and the prokit are.

Yean I saw the sticky but I wnat to see more than just one car.
I am gonna guess you will think the ride quality on sportlines will be fine. I don't know how much different shocks will effect the ride quality if the springrate is low anyway. Given the low springrate and low ride, could anyone answer what the differences you would feel would be given different shocks?

Dude, if I were you I'd just go ahead and try them out and get your own experience with them. If you don't like them, you can swap in your current springs back. Know what I mean? Some people are gonna like how it feels and some won't. You need to find out if you personally will like it and the only way to do it is to try them, not other people.

I like to listen to heavy music that has a lot of screaming in it, but most of the world doesn't
Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, you must be talking about lil' jay who said, "IMO, besides the shitty performance the front is to low and it makes the front tires lean inward. "

and about Arc00TA who said "it was fricken cheap and all I cared about was ride height at the time."

And NVR SPDS who actually has Hotchkis springs on his personal car and didnt really have anything positive to say about the sportlines.

Wow... really good, positive feedback on the sportlines from those last 3 people.. not

and then theres those two people earlier who dumped their sportlines for other springs. You must not be reading the same posts I'm reading because I have yet to see anything thats really positive on the sportlines.

You need to do yourself a favor and spend some time looking over the springs on this chart... It has everything you need to make an informed decision on springs.. rates and drops because you see... there are reasons why a spring acts the way it does... there are really only a few variables... wire guage, number of coils, free height and diameter.. and all of those variables reduce down to only 2 factors... rates and drops.. in other words.. you dont have to own a spring to know it sucks. If a spring with 450 lbs/inch and a 1 inch drop isnt enough then obviously a spring with 360 lbs/inch and a 2 inch drop will suck more. Doesn't that make sense to you?

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

If you want to go low, at least go with something with more rate than the sportlines. that is if you give a darn about handling or ride

Look at the G2 springs.. they actually have a drop more than what is stated but unlike the sportlines the rates are more appropriate.

There are some key players missing from that chart of course, intrax, strano and others.

And gimme a break... do you really want springs that "aren't as bad as everyone says they are"... i think i'd want some springs that were actually good... not just tolerable or mediocre

Finally... have you considered putting the DMS springs you already own on the lower perch of a Koni SA and doing the hose mod in the rear if you really must be lower? that way you dont even have to buy new springs and your drop will be close to the sportlines and you'll have better rates
Old 10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not buying Koni SA's those are too much money to EVER spend on shocks IMO.

I actually rode in a sportline car this afternoon and it wasnt as good as my buddies with the prokit but it wasn't horrible. Its DEFINITELY better than what I did have...which was stock cut ones cut to look like sportlines with STOCK shocks that were blown out all the way around.

Also kinda a weird question, BUT what if I had the prokit and cut a coil off each one to make them sit like the sportlines....what would this do?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

you paid what 10,000 for your car? 15,000? 20,000 or more maybe? and you cant shell out 700 dollars for the one thing that makes the difference between riding like pooh and riding like a refined sports car? not to mention braking, handling and safety.

When you move away from stock springs you move away from stock dampener requirements. There just aren't any cheap shocks capable of dampening most lowering springs.

$500 for revalves
$700 for konis
$2000 - 3000 for motons and penskes

700 is a bargain

I would have paid twice that for my set having experienced the night and day difference it made in my car.

Why don't you try cutting your DMS springs first? Is there some reason you're limiting yourself to eibach?

Search this Thread