Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with lowered 96 ws6

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with lowered 96 ws6

I installed a energy suspension trans mount this past weekend and while I was under the car I noticed that it looks like the car sits on the rear axle. I looked under the car after I let the jack down and sure enough the bump stops or whatever they're called rest on the rear axle...The car has been lowered, but I dont know what brand the springs are (I bought it already lowered). I know the shocks are the original shocks and the car has 84k miles on it.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Will new shocks fix it or do I need to buy new springs?

I was looking at these as far as new springs go:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

any help or advice is appreciated.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

New springs. Your shocks are probably done too, does your car bounce around and not want to settle? If you have the money look into Koni SAs.
Call sam strano at stranoparts.com.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

These cars will sit near the bumpstops when lowered, or on them if you have slammed springs. Your springs are unknowns, and are clearly way too low. Going with another unknown isn't the answer. The Summit springs are very unknown. We don't know the spring rates, and the lowering amounts for spring are always approximate, and they can be very inaccurate at times. Not hugely uncommon for heights to vary 1/2" from the stated lowering amount.

This is why some springs are cheap, some are not.

Shocks don't set the height, the spring do. But shocks control the speed of movement of the car and damp the movement of the springs. My guess is the car is very harsh, and somewhat willing to move around as speeds climb. Both are mainly shock issues. Harsh ride is a combination of shocks and the fact you have no real working wheel travel and ride around pretty much on the bumpstops all the time.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!