Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pros/Cons of a Full Coil Over Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros/Cons of a Full Coil Over Street Car

I'm planning alot of upgrades on my car this winter and was just going to go with some lowering springs, but I'm planning on getting into some road racing a few times a year and having an adjustalbe suspension would make a big difference IMO, but how will the car be on the street?

Just looking for some pros and cons of coilovers vs a good set of struts and lowering springs

Old 10-20-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well first off they should be fine for a street car. Secondly what sort of coilovers were you thinking of?
Old 10-20-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why do you want coil overs ?(not trying to come off as a dick, just trying to help you in your decision)
Old 10-21-2007, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

IF you are prepared to have the car properly set up AND corner weighted, then there should be no problem. If you drive year round in salt/snow areas you also should be prepped to go under there during the warmer days and power wash all of the salt/crud off of the collars/perches as well.

People are questioning your motives only because there are VERY GOOD (and somewhat less costly) alternatives out there now (UNLIKE when I did my GC/Koni coilover conversion). Namely the Strano springs with single adjustable Koni shocks. This way you get linear rate springs (the MAJOR reason for me going with the GCs, as EVERYTHING else out there at the time was shitty progressive rate springs!), of the proper rate for our cars, with the superior damping of Koni shocks.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think coil overs all around would be great.

Coil overs for one will be lighter.

More tire clearance with smaller diameter springs.

A lot of spring rate choices.

Easy to adjust shocks.

Lower or raise car when ever you like.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Cons of coilovers...

If you have them at certain ride heights and you jack up the car, they become unseated from the upper perch.

They can be hard to install I've heard

Are they lighter, or heavier than most springs? I don't think they are lighter than Strano springs
Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

a 2 1/2" coil over spring is pretty light.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

well the car isn't driven year round or even everyday, but most of the nice days when its not suppost to rain. But I think i'm going to go with some stranos and some konis or a good strut for now and upgrade when I need them and spend the money I'd save on bigger and better brakes and a few other upgrades I'm going to need. But keep the replies coming because if I have the money I may just do the coilovers. And for the guy who asked I was thinking of getting the QA1s from BMR in the kit.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You need to do your research about a few things.

First, "coilovers" are like anything else in the world and they are far from similar beyond having screw type adjustable heights. The dampers, which are the most important part of these cars working well, are HUGELY different.

Second, don't assume just because they are "coilovers" they are automatically better. They are more work. You can't just move them in 3 minutes. You should know that changing height changed alignment specs. What spring rates? Why? How do the dampers differ?

Thirdly, my lowering springs mimic the coil-over setup I run on my own car. Ride heights for best cross-weights, spring rates, all of it.... except the extra cost and extra hassle.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You need to do your research about a few things.

First, "coilovers" are like anything else in the world and they are far from similar beyond having screw type adjustable heights. The dampers, which are the most important part of these cars working well, are HUGELY different.

Second, don't assume just because they are "coilovers" they are automatically better. They are more work. You can't just move them in 3 minutes. You should know that changing height changed alignment specs. What spring rates? Why? How do the dampers differ?

Thirdly, my lowering springs mimic the coil-over setup I run on my own car. Ride heights for best cross-weights, spring rates, all of it.... except the extra cost and extra hassle.

I know that coilovers are complicated and time consuming, but they may be worth it if setup correctly. But I agree with you that a set spring rate and set ride height would be alot easier. But what would you suggest for someone like me thats wanting to get into road racing, but still have a semi street friendly suspension? The roads around here are rough, but nothing extreamly bad. And my car was only driven 1500 miles this year, but I was having alot of tranny issues and blah blah blah

But if you have any suggestions for me Sam I'm all ears
Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd suggest my springs and a set of Koni's (as well as a few other things ultimately). Here's the deal, I designed the springs after what I run on my own car for competition use (autocross and track days). The springs are also lighter than coil-overs that slip on like Ground Control's are. Just the a rear spring perch and spring used in a GC kit is 2 pounds heavier than my rear spring. Front is about the same, so you save about 8-10 pounds w/my springs.

Further, if you pick up a copy of GM High Tech Performance, you can see what kind of difference my setup makes in track test, both on street and R-comp type tires. There is also an explanation of how the car rides and drives daily on the streets in and around New York City (which aren't good if you haven't been there, ask somone who has been).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I've won a few of my local spectator drag events which is a race around an oval track and I have the koni/strano setup. For a semi street friendly and competitive suspension setup, I wouldn't recommend anything different. I haven't tried many setups before, but all I know is I'm winning and I like the setup for the track and for the street.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There is also an explanation of how the car rides and drives daily on the streets in and around New York City (which aren't good if you haven't been there, ask somone who has been).
I can vouch for this. I have been on bombed out, dirt/gravel rally stage roads that were 10x smoother than most of what they call "roads" around here!! (the area mentioned above)
If the Sam's Springs/Koni shocks setup can even be considered an "acceptable" (let alone "good") ride around here, then they are perfect in my book!!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

+1 for the koni/strano setup. I use my car as a daily driver right now and it rides great even with all the shitty roads here in florida. One of my buddies got in the car and didn't even notice a difference in the smoothness of the ride from his stock z to my car (did notice a difference in handling tho!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my take since I have one car with the Strano setup & also one with coilovers.

I somewhat doubted Sam when he told me how well my car would handle just by adding the proper springs & Koni shocks. After buying them, I was amazed. He will not steer you wrong.

For a street car and/or good cornering, definitely go with the Strano setup. Do not believe that setting it on the ground will give you better handling. Sam has the combination figured out as far as height & spring rate etc. His kit is about 1/2 the price of good coilovers. Note, I am not comparing them to QA1's, which are economical, but do not offer the handling potential you are looking for.

My other car with AFCO double adjustable coilovers is setup for street/drag racing. After playing with the height a few times, I now leave them alone. The only thing I adjust is the shock compression & rebound depending on the traction. Good shocks with the proper rate springs would have been much cheaper.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks alot for all of the info guys. I agree that the QA1s aren't the best of quality, and I wasn't planning on putting the car to the ground with the coilovers either, but I assumed that coilovers would be a better choice, but it looks like the Koni/Strano setup is in my future with alot more upgrades.

Thanks again, and Sam I was just reading the GM High Tech the other day and was really impressed with the times. I'm really looking foward to the setup

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of a Full Coil Over Street Car