Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

the banging! make it stop!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default the banging! make it stop!

Alright I'm going to loose my mind. I know people always said aftermaket torque arms would make extra noise, but this is ridiculous!

Some people a while back suggested that my poly bushings are probably shot. Ok great so bushings that were greased on a regular basis don't last for a few years? I think more than just the torque arm is banging. Perhaps all the poly bushings are shot.

Even if I barely tap the throttle then get off it, BANG. Go over a dip, no matter the severity, BANG. Barely touch the brake to get out of the cruise control, BANG.

I need recommendations or something, I feel at this point that the parts maybe aren't doing their jobs the best they could be and are driving me crazy.

They are Spohn LCA's, adj. panhard rod, and adj. floorpan mounted tq arm.
Tq arm is dialed in at zero to -1 preload.
Thanks -Corey
Old 10-21-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Alright I'm going to loose my mind. I know people always said aftermaket torque arms would make extra noise, but this is ridiculous!

Some people a while back suggested that my poly bushings are probably shot. Ok great so bushings that were greased on a regular basis don't last for a few years? I think more than just the torque arm is banging. Perhaps all the poly bushings are shot.

Even if I barely tap the throttle then get off it, BANG. Go over a dip, no matter the severity, BANG. Barely touch the brake to get out of the cruise control, BANG.

I need recommendations or something, I feel at this point that the parts maybe aren't doing their jobs the best they could be and are driving me crazy.

They are Spohn LCA's, adj. panhard rod, and adj. floorpan mounted tq arm.
Tq arm is dialed in at zero to -1 preload.
Thanks -Corey
Friend of mine also has a floor mounted torque arm, every time he slows down, or takes off hard the thing bangs. I think its just the design (lack of?) of the floor mounted TAs. Get a tranny mounted one and be done with it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm afraid you got just what I expect. You are basically hooking your rear axle to the very think floorpan of the car. If I hit a pipe with a hammer and you were handing onto the other end without gloves of some sort of isolation, you're going to know it.

A stock length TA will solve your issues. You can mount it either to trans as is stock, or if you prefer a body mount we'll use a TA relocation kit to mount to the body. But such a kit is actually a new crossmember that puts the load into the much stronger and beefier crossmemeber mounting location. Not only is that a better solution for strength, but also less noise as it's less flimsy.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=10&ModelID=2 (also a non adjustable for $219 if you prefer) and,
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=10&ModelID=2

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

This is the part I'm running, minus DS safety loop, so it mounts to a cross bar like your 2nd link? Or is something different?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Spohn front crossmember is basically the same as the UMI in his second pic as far as how/where it mounts. The difference is with the UMI version it retains the sliding clamshell style front bar mount like the stock front mount that is on your tranny.

The Spohn arm you have could not be used with that particular UMI front mount as it utilizes a 'swing arm' style of front mount.

I have the Sphon TA for LT's with the dual DS safety loops (basically same as you pictured only with (2) DS loops).

The banging noise you are hearing is coming from the front mount style used on the Spohn. If you notice, it has a bushed rod end connected via the swingarm to a poly bushing on the mounting bar. Everytime your rear end loads/unloads, that front mount is pivoting (as opposed to the sliding motion afforded by stock style clamshell mounts).

So you have replaced a sliding mount, in a rubber bushing, bolted to the end of your tranny (also isolated from body of car with rubber tranny mount) - with a pivoting mount, solid rod end/poly bushing, bolted directly to the floor of the car. The noise you are getting, coupled with any incresed vibration feel thru the floor, is inevitable with that style bar and there is nothing you can do about it.

So if it bothers you that much - only recourse is to sell that bar and buy one similar to the others mentioned. I found the noise annoying at first with mine, but have since learned to ignore it completely.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Wait, you guys are confusing two different items. There are tunnel mount TA's, which you guys have and there are transmission crossmember mounted TA's, which use a completely new tranny crossmember to attach the TA to.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, I see what yo're talking about now - pic was so small. The UMI front mount replaces the tranny mount and moves the bar mount off the TS housing to the tranny mount - while the Spohn utilizes the tunnel brace mounting points.

That style mount, with the original design sliding front bar bushing should make for much quieter operation of the bar. I like my Spohn and have had no trouble - only the slightly annoying bang - but if the tranny mount style had been available when I got mine - I probably would have gone that route...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I think thats the problem I'm having though, its not slightly annoying anymore. In hindsight, I guess it has been on there for over two years. Any recommendation on if I should change the bushing out and with what? I have the polyurethane in there now.