Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cut coils

Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut coils

only wanna drop my car about a in how much coil should i cut and how much will this effect my ride. this is my daily and the only race'n i do is from red light to red light. just wanna make it more aggressive and not handle like ****
Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it! It will ride like crap and eat up shocks! Just buy the lowering springs from BMR, they are a 1" drop and new shocks from Sam Strano. What is your budget? You could just get Koni shocks and drop the front 3/4" and do the heater hose mod in the back for just under an inch.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z2fast8
only wanna drop my car about a in how much coil should i cut and how much will this effect my ride. this is my daily and the only race'n i do is from red light to red light. just wanna make it more aggressive and not handle like ****
You can cut the rear coils, no problem. I can even tell you the new rate, but cutting the fronts is tricky business. The front coils are too soft to begin with and cutting them does not increase the spring rate near enough. The lower you go the more spring rate you need to stay off the bumpstops. Factory bumpstops are really stiff and you can feel them. You could cut a little from the front (without removing the spring), say 1/2 a coil and see how low it is. Once you lower the front more than 3/4" or so you'll be asking for a rought ride for sure.

The good thing about better shocks is that they will slow down the compression travel and help prevent bottoming out on the bumpstop. Stiffer springs also help do the same.

Lowering the front by cutting the coil and using the stock shock is not going to improve the handling at all. If that's what you think, then forget it. Trimming the front coil would only help it in the looks department. If you want better handling then better shocks are needed. If you don't want to lower it too much then the Koni SA would be good with the stock springs. These shocks can lower the front about 3/4" or so without any cutting on them plus they are firmer and rebound adjustable all while smoothing out the ride quality.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Something I've always wondered about cutting coils is will it hurt the structural integrity depending on how much you cut and how you do it? I know a local person who's broken a set of springs in half, though I'm not sure what was done to them nor if they were cut.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Something I've always wondered about cutting coils is will it hurt the structural integrity depending on how much you cut and how you do it? I know a local person who's broken a set of springs in half, though I'm not sure what was done to them nor if they were cut.
Don't use a torch to cut them. Use a less heated method like a cutoff wheel. I use a thin 4.5" wheel in an angle grider to slice them.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

1x for the cutting wheel. i did that also but the only downfall to it is the cups at the top of the springs in the rear of the car will not seat properly.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
You could cut a little from the front (without removing the spring), say 1/2 a coil and see how low it is.
HOLY CRAP THAT COULD KILL YOU!
Remove the springs, then cut them.

BTW, I'm against cutting the springs anyway, but if you do it, try not to kill yourself in the process. You might be eligible for a a Darwin Award if you do. www.darwinawards.com
Old 10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIP1
HOLY CRAP THAT COULD KILL YOU!
How so?
If I explain the process you will see it is very safe.
I can only assume you are imagining something very different than my safe method.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I think it sounds like you meant doing it while the spring is still on the shock, aka compressed but you probably didn't mean that. Stock springs I don't think can ever be loose when coiled over the shock and the upper nut is threaded on ever so slightly. I guess were just confused on what you meant.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

i was thinking about some koni sa and doing the lower perch on the front and hose mod to the rear, but i have a 9" so i have a lil extra gap in the rear, i was thinking about cutting 1/4 a coil from the rears. what drop would that give me?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I think it sounds like you meant doing it while the spring is still on the shock, aka compressed but you probably didn't mean that. Stock springs I don't think can ever be loose when coiled over the shock and the upper nut is threaded on ever so slightly. I guess were just confused on what you meant.
What you do is use a coil compressor to remove the weight off the spring, then you can cut a short piece of the big, bottom end. You then rotate the lower spring cup to match the new spring end. Of course, if your not comfortable doing this, you can remove the spring completely to cut it or else have someone better qualified to do this work.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bad6as
i was thinking about some koni sa and doing the lower perch on the front and hose mod to the rear, but i have a 9" so i have a lil extra gap in the rear, i was thinking about cutting 1/4 a coil from the rears. what drop would that give me?
1/4 of a coil will be pretty small. Probably about a 1/4 inch drop.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

also very interested but on a v6, just for the looks.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
1/4 of a coil will be pretty small. Probably about a 1/4 inch drop.
that and the hose mod should give about 3/4" drop right?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Save up and buy PROPER LOWERING SPRINGS-------------IF U MUST have them now...use a cutting wheel...NOT A TORCH..you do not want heat involved.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut a coil and a half in front and that was about a 2" drop.
I cut two and a half coils in the back for about a 1.5" drop.
BUT all cars and springs arew different so start with less and work your way up. I didn't want a 2" drop in front but i started with a coil and a half.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:00 PM
8 Second Club

I'd just buy the BMR lowering spring! And they come in Red! yahh
Old 10-26-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so a coil in the front and a coil and the heater hose mod? in the back?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Keepin mind, cutting the front coil isn't going to help handling.

Search this Thread