Fel Pro oil pan gasket
new oil pump
UMI k-member
Poly motor mounts
UMI front lower control arms
Strano 35mm front sway
Strano springs
Koni 4/4 on lower front perch in front, rubber isolator in back

It has a nice raked look but is a little low in the front. The alignment is WAY off. The alignment shop is going to LOVE me!!

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 10-28-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks nice!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
Just installed:

Strano springs
Koni 4/4 on lower front perch in front, rubber isolator in back

It has a nice raked look but is a little low in the front.

Well, there's the problem. The springs weren't designed to run the lower perch.... move it back up before the alignment (so you don't have to re, re-align the car). It'll take care of the front being a little low, and ride and handle better too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well, there's the problem. The springs weren't designed to run the lower perch.... move it back up before the alignment (so you don't have to re, re-align the car). It'll take care of the front being a little low, and ride and handle better too.
I know what you're saying but I love the way it looks.

Not too many problems with the install either. The springs arrived half-way out of the box and were scratched up pretty good. I just sanded the rough stuff down and sprayed them with rustoleum. The bolt for the front sway bar end link was bent bad. I do not know how a grade 8 bolt can bend?
Also after installing everything I took it for a quick drive around the neighborhood and the steering seems a bit messed up. I know the alignment is off but it feels like the tires are rubbing something when trying to turn. When I turn I feel about 4 consecutive rubs before I can completely turn. Any ideas?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I know what you're saying but I love the way it looks.

Not too many problems with the install either. The springs arrived half-way out of the box and were scratched up pretty good. I just sanded the rough stuff down and sprayed them with rustoleum. The bolt for the front sway bar end link was bent bad. I do not know how a grade 8 bolt can bend?
Also after installing everything I took it for a quick drive around the neighborhood and the steering seems a bit messed up. I know the alignment is off but it feels like the tires are rubbing something when trying to turn. When I turn I feel about 4 consecutive rubs before I can completely turn. Any ideas?
I think he just told you what to do.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The alignment will be way off from the lowering, and you went further than normal. I have to strongly urge you to raise the car to the upper spring perch, but you can do what you want....

As for the parts. I'm not sure how shipping companies manage to mangle things so badly. Having worked for UPS, the trucks are "packed" basically by just throwing things in. I'm sorry they were beaten up, but glad they got there in one piece. Have no idea how the endlink bolt would have gotten bent. Something heavy must have been sitting on it. If the bolt is bent, I'd recommend finding a replacement..... They aren't grade 8, they are grade 5, and it's a 3/8" (.370") diameter bolt you should be able to find at most hardware stores.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The alignment will be way off from the lowering, and you went further than normal. I have to strongly urge you to raise the car to the upper spring perch, but you can do what you want....

As for the parts. I'm not sure how shipping companies manage to mangle things so badly. Having worked for UPS, the trucks are "packed" basically by just throwing things in. I'm sorry they were beaten up, but glad they got there in one piece. Have no idea how the endlink bolt would have gotten bent. Something heavy must have been sitting on it. If the bolt is bent, I'd recommend finding a replacement..... They aren't grade 8, they are grade 5, and it's a 3/8" (.370") diameter bolt you should be able to find at most hardware stores.
Thanks Sam. I probably will raise it back up. How much higher will it be?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

about 5/8".

Old 10-30-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Regular

I run mine on the lower perch with Sam's springs, and have had no problems at all, softed the shocks alittle and it rides nice.

And surprisingly when I did mine, the alignment was damn close from my Pro-kit alignment. You will love the set-up. and Sam's springs are awesome, I have hit the rear bump stops yet. My Pro-kit rode on them.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

Nice stance!!! I gotta get me some Konis next..........
Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rocket22
I run mine on the lower perch with Sam's springs, and have had no problems at all, softed the shocks alittle and it rides nice.

And surprisingly when I did mine, the alignment was damn close from my Pro-kit alignment. You will love the set-up. and Sam's springs are awesome, I have hit the rear bump stops yet. My Pro-kit rode on them.
Well I am glad someone else does. I just love the raked look!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it really that bad to run them on the lower spring perch?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

By running on the lower perch w/lowering springs you are simply taking away that much more working spring travel. And you are starting off lower, but the spring rates are for a car sitting a bit taller statically. Also the reason the springs are the height they are is because of suspension geometry. We are trying to not go too low because it angles the control arms and tie-rods that much more.

And finally, shocks are not impossible to break, Koni's included. By running lower without more spring rate you run a larger risk of bottoming the shock internally and damaging it. This can happen from time to time on the upper perch, just a lot more prevelent when you are starting lower.

They are now your parts... you can do what you wish with them, and most shops would probably not care. I'm not most shops, and being I speced the spring design, rates and heights I'd prefer you to run the upper or stock height spring perch on Koni's.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

By running on the lower perch w/lowering springs you are simply taking away that much more working spring travel. And you are starting off lower, but the spring rates are for a car sitting a bit taller statically. Also the reason the springs are the height they are is because of suspension geometry. We are trying to not go too low because it angles the control arms and tie-rods that much more.

And finally, shocks are not impossible to break, Koni's included. By running lower without more spring rate you run a larger risk of bottoming the shock internally and damaging it. This can happen from time to time on the upper perch, just a lot more prevelent when you are starting lower.

They are now your parts... you can do what you wish with them, and most shops would probably not care. I'm not most shops, and being I speced the spring design, rates and heights I'd prefer you to run the upper or stock height spring perch on Koni's.
Sam, I thought the springs were designed for stock weight cars? Since I have done a lot of weight reduction to the car, wouldnt that compensate for it being slightly lower (in regards to suspension travel and spring rates)? I completely understand you recommending the upper perch so dont take this the wrong way. Also, the koni's have a lifetime warranty so if they do crap out I can just send them back for replacements.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Launching!

I'm not rying to be an *** or anyhting, but look at his sig. Sam knows his ****, REALLY knows his ****. Yeah the car looks good, but function out weighs looks. I've talked to Sam and valued his suggestions. I don't have the $$$$ to just splurge and buy the parts I need, that's why I'm saving my $$$$ to buy it right the first time. Take his advise or pay the price.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I am going to just switch it back to the upper perch setting tomorrow. The alignment is not until Friday so I should be ok. Shouldnt take too long since I am now a pro at suspension swapping! lol
Old 10-31-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Also, the koni's have a lifetime warranty so if they do crap out I can just send them back for replacements.
And you wonder why manufacturer's don't like to warranty things. It's because dumb *** people have this attitude and run setup's that shouldn't be run. You ask a question and you don't get the answer you want so you just keep on going. If you are going to do that, don't ask the damn question in the first place and waste the time of people that make this board so educational to go to.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
And you wonder why manufacturer's don't like to warranty things. It's because dumb *** people have this attitude and run setup's that shouldn't be run. You ask a question and you don't get the answer you want so you just keep on going. If you are going to do that, don't ask the damn question in the first place and waste the time of people that make this board so educational to go to.
So because a product offers a lifetime warranty I should not use it? This was the primary reason I bought the Koni shocks. Also, exactly what question are you referring to? I thought asking questions was how people learn? You have never asked a question? In case you did not read my last post, I have NOT driven the car at all since my alignment is Friday and I stated that I will be changing it back due to everyone's advice. I do not know why you care so much in the first place b/c I can do w/e the hell I want to. Thank you for contributing NOTHING of any use to this post.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Calm down everyone.

Insane, your car can't be much lighter than stock, and most of that weight likely came off the rear. And while the car will travel down to and beyond that point in daily use, it's like driving around with your foot on the floor all the time.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Don't hold it in anymore. Let it all out and tell us how you really feel

Quick Reply: Strano springs, Koni 4/4 pics