Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sealed or greasable balljoints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sealed or greasable balljoints?

I read online and it seemed that sealed balljoints were better than greasable. The reason was because they are sealed, the parts are made with a lower tolerance so lubricant doesn't escape. They actual ball and socket is smoother for less friction since you can't replace the grease:

" Ball joints that do not have grease fittings also rely on grease for lubrication, but the grease is permanently sealed inside. Such joints typically have much tighter seals to keep contaminants out. Sealed joints are often referred to as "low friction" joints because they typically have polished ball studs and synthetic rather than steel bearings. This reduces internal friction and makes steering easier, which is why this type of joint is used as original equipment on most front-wheel drive cars and many late model trucks."

Is there any truth to this? Everyone here is gung-ho over moog balljoints, but I just installed them into my upper a-arms and when I move them around, I feel a lot of metal-to-metal friction whereas the stockers are way more smooth. Should I get the AC Delco parts instead of moog??

Thanks!!

REFERENCE: http://www.aa1car.com/library/ball_joints.htm

Last edited by jchrisos; 10-30-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added quote and URL
Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1, i would like to know too
Old 10-30-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

New balljoints should be tight, if they move around easy thats bad. I personally don't see a difference in them. I'd like to see a wear comparison between the two.
edit: As well as new balljoints from the store don't have grease in them yet, at least not full of grease thats probably why you are hearing metal-metal contact.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I used to have my truck (1999 Dakota) - and as most of you might know, the HUGE balljoint recall they had where wheels would fall off on 10k mile cars because the balljoints were to weak for the trucks) - my balljoints of course went bad.

The consensus on our forums was that the moog greasable balljoints were the way to go on our trucks as you could grease them a lot, where the stock sealed ones sucked, as eventually they would leak and then within 15k they would always start failing (clunking) like clockwork.

Just from past experience I'd go moog.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
The consensus on our forums was that the moog greasable balljoints were the way to go on our trucks as you could grease them a lot, where the stock sealed ones sucked, as eventually they would leak and then within 15k they would always start failing (clunking) like clockwork.

Just from past experience I'd go moog.

AGREED!!! The Moog's are real heavy duty units, and when you shoot them full of a good synthetic grease, which you should do, even when brand new, BTW (Neo, Red Line, Mobil 1, Amsoil Series 2000, etc.) they are; quiet, solid, reliable, and last a LONG TIME (even with a stiff road race suspension setup, and sticky tires!!).
Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to hear. I already have them and wanted to check here first before I went and spent more $$ on a different set. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Sealed or greasable balljoints?