Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear end woes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default rear end woes...

the title may seem like its in the wrong section, but i swear its not!

over the summer i revamped the whole car. heads/cam, strano springs and bars with konis, all tubular UMI stuff in the rear, and a 12 bolt! yadi yadi ya... the car is fun as heck! but this rear i bought from a member here is giving me issues. it whines, it clunks, it throws the abs light every left hand turn and i just can't deal anymore. i was gonna send it to a shop to fix it, until i found a new sponsor on here selling a fab 9 inch (found here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/781110-midwest-chassis-fabricated-9-inch.html) i was thinking to just grab this and start from scratch since i now hate my rear... here comes the question:

this rear is supposedly lighter than even a 10 bolt! has a tru-trac diff in it and clearance for even lowered cars like mine. but, it also has a very odd (short in length, mounts at crossmember with heim joints) torque arm design. what will be the advantages/disadvantages to running this rear granted my car is about a 99.9% street driven car (.1% strip/possibly road track time) and i am trying to maximize handling and street manners while still retaining durability? i'm sorry for the long-winded post, but i wanna have my car at 100% with the path of least resistance, even if that means buying a new rear and taking a huge hit on my 12 bolt. thank you in advance for your help

Jake