Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Painting Stock Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting Stock Calipers

Hello all,
I just got some new brake components (drilled/slotted zinc plated rotors w/ hawks pads for all four corners) and I want to paint my calipers while I do this. I did a cheapo-red pepboys paint kit job and it looks horrible, the paint is chipping and its caked with brake dust (so I won't go with red next time). I want to paint my calipers correctly in black, what techniques should I use? Obviously the caliper needs to come off, but what steps do I use, and how many coats of what paint should I use? Is it okay to take the calipers off and plug the brake lines so that I may work on this when the car is down for the winter (I have a beater)? Let me know.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

...try powdercoating ...paint is not ideal.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

i painted my calipers with duplicolor can with brush. Grinded down the line in the middle and sanded off any dirt so the paint would stick. Took my time and it came out great. I never disconnected my calipers, use something so they wont sag on the lines.

if you dont have the patience with a brush, let me suggest using a spay can. Duplicolor makes it. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Had the same thing on my old car. Looked great and lasted for the 3 yrs i had it. Never faded, cracked, peeled, etc. No expensive either. Just took a LONG time (4hrs) to do properly.

Only difference from the above pic was mine said CAMARO Z28 in black paint w/ silver lettering. Great job by the way 1998LS1SS
Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

1998LS1SS, did you use a stencil or something to do the lettering? Looks badass!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the advice, and I will also look into powdercoating. Is it okay to take the calipers off and plug the brake lines for a day or two so that I can work on these in my garage?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

i purchased the camaro stickers on ebay and slapped them on after i brushed the caliper....the trick is to brush quickly because you will begin to see brush stokes once the paint begins to harden... good luck. her is another pic and i also painted the whole center hub thing siver...looks great
Old 11-02-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

i used the dupicolor brush caliper paint too
over 2 yrs later and it looks as good as the day i did it
just take your time and youll be glad you did
Old 11-02-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

I painted 8 calipers using two methods. The dedicated caliper paint that you brush on the disconnected calipers. I then did the others with spray on engine enamel, leaving the calipers in place, carefully covering everything with paper, rags and tape. I used an assortment of wire brushes to clean the visible areas to remove dirt and corrosion first. I used paint thinner to remove over spray. The second method is the best one for me because I don't think the calipers are where I want to spend all day. They are only partially visible and the easy way still looks very good even up close.

Quick Reply: Painting Stock Calipers