Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will an alignment raise my car? Strano springs, UMI tub cntrl arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will an alignment raise my car? Strano springs, UMI tub cntrl arms

Just got everything cinched up with my install, UMI upper/lower arms and a tubular K. I added strano springs and konis.

I limped it down to the alignment shop where they will get to work on it tomorrow. However, I had a hell of a time getting it down there. My car has the RK sport gfx kit, and along with that comes the larger air dam. Driving it there, the dam was slamming on the ground constantly, even with the nose dive that comes from braking.It's pretty much un-drivable in it's current condition.

One thing though, I did not adjust ANY of the front suspension hardware, except for the shocks. All the rod ends on the lower arm are in the same position they arrived to me in. I made no adjustments to the tie rods. It was pulling in every direction because of this so I know there will be a lot of work to be done there.

My question is, will the alignment hopefully end up raising the car a bit? I've seen pictures before of the strano set up and they aren't as low as mine. It's got a hell of a rake right now.

Keep in mind, I DID use the upper perch like recommend, so that's not the issue.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Having it aligned will make NO difference in the ride height of the car. If te stuff you installed is adjustable for height you need to adjust it to your liking BEFORE you get it aligned.

Re'
Old 11-08-2007, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Height is not adj.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Launching!

what does the adjustability of the lower control arm rod ends affect?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

How much longer does this air dam extend to? How come you can't use the stock air dam?

All your ctrl arms should effect are your alignment settings.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackrat
what does the adjustability of the lower control arm rod ends affect?
alignment
Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
How much longer does this air dam extend to? How come you can't use the stock air dam?

All your ctrl arms should effect are your alignment settings.
Cant use the stock air dam b/c of the body kit. The air dam must scoop from lower than the lowest point in the front to bring air to the radiator.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Is that why there's a lot of bumper kits with nothing extending right in the center? aka like the OEM one?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is that why there's a lot of bumper kits with nothing extending right in the center? aka like the OEM one?
Correct, there is noting in the center so you do not have to use a lower air dam.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you get konis and install the springs on the ower perch?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

How much lower is this different air dam compared to the stock one? If your air dam hits, you are probably just too low for the air dam. You don't hit anything else right?

Will putting the stock one back on cause your engine to overheat? If so, how about finding a different route for air to get to the radiator?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Launching!

How much lower is this different air dam compared to the stock one? If your air dam hits, you are probably just too low for the air dam. You don't hit anything else right?

Will putting the stock one back on cause your engine to overheat? If so, how about finding a different route for air to get to the radiator?
I ran the stock one for several years, just because I didn't know any better, and it always ran on the hot side. When I was at the track, the thing would almost hit red zone and I'd have to bail out after only a few laps. The difference between the aftermarket dam is a couple of inches, and it's a bunch stiffer than the stocker. That's the issue, it doesn't bend easily so the piece slams when it hits the ground. I bought some rubber siding yesterday and am just going to add an extension to the stock piece. The siding will be more flexible and when it hits the ground it won't make have as much of an impact.

They are on the upper perch. I've already talked to Sam about that. I'm going to take some pics and send it to him. I measured it and it seemed like ti was a half inch lower up front then it should be, but there is a possibility that it was on a hill so I'm going to take the measurements again.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say you replaced the whole front end with tubular upper/lower and K-member?

An alignment "may" raise your car some. Same thing happened to me when I switched K-members during my LS1 swap. The front bolt on your front lower control arm is on a slot and if it's all the way outwards, your car will sit lower (and vice versa). So, when the alignment shop does your camber alignment and if it's too negative, they'll pull it back inwards, and the geometry of the suspension will raise the front end up. I saw as much as about an inch with mine.

Quick Reply: Will an alignment raise my car? Strano springs, UMI tub cntrl arms