Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Set me up for F-Stock

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Set me up for F-Stock

Looking to run F-stock autocross this coming season, and need to prep out the car. Here are my current mods:

- Suspension Techniques 35mm front sway bar
- Stock replacement shocks
- Stock rear suspension
- Flowmaster cat-back
- Moroso CAI

I know I'll need to swap the cold-air intake for a stock one, but looking for suspension and braking advice more than anything. Here are my questions:

- I will be running stock springs and trying to decide on shocks. I can afford Koni 4/3's, but don't know if I'd be just as well off on Bilsteins... I have also heard of some guys just running Konis out back with stock front shocks and performing well..
- Where can I get a set of Stainless Steel brake lines?
- Should I look into Hawk pads or EBC?

Any other suggestions or comments to prep for the season are welcome. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The intake has to go away. The 35mm bar isn't bad, just heavy and a bit too stiff. Used to use them all the time, but with the newer tires that put power down better found the hollow 35 works better, and weighs about 15 pounds less. Car need a front bar, and a 35mm solid is much better than say a 32. But you can sometimes have too much of a good thing with the current generation R-compound tires.

Have to run stock springs in FS. About all you can do are shocks and the front bar. The car is heavy and autox is about transitioning quickly and having a stable platform, both of which come from shocks. Bilstein's are in NO WAY, shape, or form on the same level of damping control. More damping means slower body roll and quicker changes of direction.

We carry all the things you need to set the car up. I've won Nationals in FS, and setup other cars that have won cars in FS too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

What Sam said....

A 35mm front bar, Koni's and a set of R-Compounds will put you where you need to be.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

This is one case where you listen to Sam and no one else, unless they've had f-stock championship success as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Already got the front bar, just need the shocks. And swapping out the intake is no problem. Just needed advice on the braking stuff mostly.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Advice from the interweb isn't the best way to setup a car. I can't give you the advice you want, I don't even know if you've autocrossed, what tires you are planning on, etc. Stainless lines aren't legal on cars in stock unless they are 1992 or older. Brakes need to work, but aren't exactly a make or break thing on speed for an autox car. Mostly bad ones hurt, but working one, even if not the BEST don't slow you down (in terms of your speed on course).

The front bar is slightly stiffer than ideal these days, and certainly heavier than it needs to be. You need a good working limited slip, and that will wear with events. We have replacement (stock legal) differentials.

As with most things, they aren't quite as simple as asking some random opinions... Not terribly difficult, but details matter especially in a class where you are limited on what you can do to the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!