Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ground control coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ground control coilovers

hey, looking at the ground control coilover kit, wondering if its worth the money?

anyone have one, and wanna let me know how it rides?
Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had it for a few years, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone but the most hardcore racers that really need (or want) to corner weight their car. Ride would depend on what shocks you paired with it along with the spring rates you choose. I have Strano revalved Bilsteins with 400 lb/in springs up front and had 125 lb/in springs in the back until one of the weight jackers got screwed up while making an adjustment, and I just threw in some Edelbrock lowering springs in the back only.

It rides a little firmer than stock, but handles way better. I have it lowered about 1.25-1.5" all around, and that is where it has been since it was installed for the most part. Adjusting the ride height is a bitch and a half, and took me no less than 2+ hours the whole 2 times I've done it...you have to keep adjusting, measuring, adjusting some more, etc. to get it to sit just right.

I'd say that 99.9% of people in this world don't need adjustable ride height, especially for a primarily street driven car. I could see the possible benefit for someone heavy into road racing/auto-x, or a show car that they want slammed, but only at shows. Lowering/raising the car is no trivial task like I wanted to believe...

If I had the chance to do it over, I would have gone with Konis and Strano springs...but Strano didn't offer his springs back when I did this mod. That said, I'll be replacing the shocks with Konis and using his springs in the somewhat near future...
Old 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Launching!

thanks for the advice, and for the spring specs lol, the draw to the kit is the adjustability for me, because im gonna bring it down an inch and a half or so, but when i get around to installing the sti turbo in the back, i want to bring it up a touch (it would suck to whack that thing on the ground)
Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed my setup tonight! Koni's and sway bars from Strano and the Ground control kit. I went with a 550/175 setup for the spring rates after talking to Strano about my plans. Feels very good and firm (but will rattle your brains out with a firmer setting on the shocks).

I'm a bit picky about ride height and have gone through many sets of springs and just wanted something I can dial in to sit "EXACTLY" the way I wanted it and not take a chance. I had to take the front Koni's apart to put the GC kit on it and had to throw out the dust boot, so I'm gonna try and make some kind of cover to protect the whole setup very soon.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

I thought about them, and decide to give Strano's a try. It's the best sitting set of springs I have seen without C/O's, and it's almost level now thats there broke in.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Hindsight is 20/20.

Knowing now what I knew back then I would've said "f" that and gone with Strano springs.

I went with the 500 fronts 150 backs and now I want stiffer too.

I do like the fact that I can adjust the height with the GC setup, but bottom-line it's a pain in the *** to adjust.
AND once you change the ride height you need a front wheel alignment EVERY TIME you change the ride height.

Well, okay, you don't HAVE to do a front wheel alignment every time, but you'll wear your front tires faster than normal.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run ground controls in the front on koni SA's, with 550 springs. Strano Rear springs w/out any adjusters. Strano bars aswell. Rides very firm but is a great street/track combo. I run NASA TT with this setup.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

As some of the above posters have stated, I too would have gone with a Strano/Koni setup over the GC/Konis (600# fronts/200# rear), IF they were available back then.
The one other point everyone forgot is that you void your front Koni's lifetime warranty with the mods necessary to fit the GC kit on them.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I should also add that the kit from them comes 450/175, which is a bad combination IMHO, and one I never use.

My springs were derived from the rates and height I run on own car. You might want something different for looks or some other reason. But I clearly like what I run since it's a combination that handles and wins, and doesn't make the car undriveable.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

How do all of you deal with the change in driveline angles - especially when you lower the car?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by LS1Beginner
How do all of you deal with the change in driveline angles - especially when you lower the car?

The only way you can...with an adjustable torque arm.

Quick Reply: ground control coilovers