Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment specs for lowered vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alignment specs for lowered vehicle

I have made a thread in the past about this and recieved some input. but I dont like the specs I was given...

My very first time I was going to raod race, Strano gave me some alignment specs.. I remember 1/16" toe in, and a specific number camber and caster. I know that i was negative camber and positive caster.

I was very happy with the way the car felt.

Now when I was going to road race for the second time. I made a thread and I was told

0 toe, as much - camber as I can get and as much + caster I can get..

when I went to road race my car felt horrible, I know partially it was because of my Moser 12 bolt that was added on and torque arm and SFCs. which added weight caused my bad handling..in addition the alignment Im sure made it worse. the car didnt feel stable at all . Plu sI had steering wheel shimmy/vibration at sharp turns.

People told me, oh you want toe out, etc.. for road racing, but although I considered what they said, I thought to myself. maybe my car will perform differently, so they are probably wrong.

All I want from this thread is the proper alignment specs for a lowered car. so my handling will be great again..

by great: reduced body roll, reduced tire screech on turns, car feeling more stable at high turns, steering wheel vibration reduced at high turns. Just an overral smoother, better performing car in handling..

can anyone help me?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Oh and I read the sticky that has alignment specs, but my car doesnt have the same mods as him

I have Konis, strano springs, 35mm sway and 21mm rear. hotchkiss adjustable PHB, Spohn LCA, UMI TA, UMI 3 pt SFC, not welded. I may be missing something..
Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

try -1.5* camber and 4.50* caster for autocrossing, about 1/16 (-0.12*) toe out works better.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I said, and stand by 1/16" toe in for this fellow. He's tracking the car vs. autox, and we want a more stable front end than a darty one. He has toe-out now and clearly does not like it. I go from toe-out to toe-in if I'm going to a track, particularly a fast one. And the car is primarily a street car..

That said, the alignment can't help with all the weight you added that's unsprung in the rear.

Now, it's possible and often the case that you get a specific number, but the alignment rack is out of calibration (far too common I'm sorry to say). A vibration when you turn only is often a result of a person overturning the wheel, and you end up scrubbing the tires across the ground. I can't imagine any other reason you'd have no issues driving along, but this when you turn. The tires will also be screaming for mercy if this is what you are doing. You need to make sure that when the front stops biting, you don't add more steering input.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

i agree with you, i'm a toe in person.

i run my own alignment shop and have aligned a handful of local autocross and sebring racing f-bodies.

also, if the caster is too high, the vibration you feel when turning could be the power steering unit vibrating from too much pressure needed to turn the wheel. when i did jim mueller's car, we tried 5.50* caster. it made the power steering unit growl.

i won't argue with you, because you've won more championships than i have ( i have none). i just know what i've set other people's cars to and get reports back on how they did.

Last edited by mrr23; 01-18-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Ill post you my alignment specs when I get home ( Im at work now)..

I think like you said I have too much caster and that could be an issue.

Also what sam said sounds about right also..

then again my front and rear tires arent matched up and my froints dont bits as well as my Nitto 555rs in the rear.

and I didnt have 40psi in the front like someone has recommended me before. I only had like 35.

Also I seincerly do believe I may need a new rack and pinion, even if its not the cause of my steering issues, its only and id prefer a newer beefier one.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:08 AM
11 Second Club

I also think my short TA is making my track runs suffer.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

nvm I found the alignment thread.