Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

> Best monotube shock for BMR lowering springs?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default > Best monotube shock for BMR lowering springs?

Looking for better handling and smoother ride.

TOKICO's HP Series - the famous "Blue Shock" - continues to be the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts looking for the best in overall handling and ride quality. The HP Series damping typifies TOKICO's valving flexibility and philosophy by minimizing low speed damping force and greatly increasing damping at medium and high piston speeds for improved compliance, tire adhesion and handling.

93-02 Tokico High-Performance Series Shock
Tokico's high performance struts and shocks feature the same high quality as their top-of-the-line Illumina shocks in a less expensive non-adjustable package. Their dampening is tuned to a firm "sport" mode for maximum control without being harsh.

OR

Brand New 93-02 Bilstein HD Shock

Improve handling with these precision Bilstein Mono-tube high pressure shocks. The single tube designed shock is filled with oil and nitrogen gas in a pressured, sealed compartment. A dividing piston exerts constant pressure on the oil, which eliminates any oil foaming.

Full Set Front And Rears Covered By Full Bilstein Warranty

OR

93-02 KYB Adjustable AGX Shock

AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks and Strut Cartridges are for the driving enthusiast who owns a sports compact, sports coupe or sports car. KYB AGX shock absorbers allow easy adjustment of the shock damping rate to tune the vehicle?s performance to meet the needs of the street, strip or track.

KYB AGX Adjustable Gas shock absorbers are externally adjustable, so there is no need to disconnect or remove anything to change settings. Depending on the vehicle?s configuration, the damping rate is selected with an external **** on the side of the shock body or through a screwdriver inserted into a slot at the top of the strut?s piston rod.

The KYB AGX shock absorber?s single damping adjustment changes the shock?s compression and rebound resistance at once. When you want adjustable high performance control, you want KYB AGX Adjustable Gas shock absorbers.

OR

93-02 Koni Camaro/Firebird Sport Shocks Single Adjustable

Sport shocks and struts from Koni are carefully designed to provide exceptional road-holding and handling properties, combined with an acceptable level of comfort. They offer responsive steering and cornering, improved body control, and limited body movements when braking and accelerating, resulting in a direct feel and excellent wheel-road contact. In addition, all Koni shocks come with a limited lifetime warranty.

OR

93-02 Koni Camaro/Firebird Double Adjustable Shocks

Adjust your ride and handling forever. Unlike most shock absorbers, Koni adjustable street shocks and struts vary both the rate of oil flow and the spring load on the valve to give you the ride and handling you want. Many Konis have an adjuster accessible right at the shock tower, to make fine-tuning your ride firmness and control easy. On the other models, you need to pull the shocks off for adjustment. However, irrespective of the type, you'll be able to adjust your Konis forever, because Koni puts a lifetime guarantee on them against both defects and wear.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Some of those shocks are twin tube design, not monotube. The Koni single adjustable is the best handling shock for the money.

Bilstein HD's are pretty good for 'normal driving' on stock springs, but I had the older versions.

The rest I have no direct experience with.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luckily, this question only gets asked about once every hour or so. Since that is the case, just do some legwork and read the responses that already exist. Your circumstances don't warrant an entire thread...
Old 11-20-2007, 03:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

None of the shocks mentioned except the Bilstein's are mono-tubes. Mono-tubes have some advantages, but just being a mono-tube doesn't make a shock good. The DeCarbon's that are stock are also mono-tubes and pretty much suck.

Shocks are the key, Koni's are the best. There are actually two different sets of SA's you can use (seems you were just reading the generic material from each of the companies websites). DA's are available, and overkill. I don't use them on my car, and I own a set of them FWIW.

Bilstein's at this time are something you can forget about for a number of reasons. HD's have never been right for lowering springs. They were changed a few years ago now and made much worse overall, especially for lowering springs. And they aren't even available at this time. So that's 3-strike's and they're out.

I also sell Bilstein, KYB, Tokico, among others, so my statements are not based upon what I can sell you. They are all lines I carry, for me it's about what works the best for a given situation.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
None of the shocks mentioned except the Bilstein's are mono-tubes. Mono-tubes have some advantages, but just being a mono-tube doesn't make a shock good. The DeCarbon's that are stock are also mono-tubes and pretty much suck.

Shocks are the key, Koni's are the best. There are actually two different sets of SA's you can use (seems you were just reading the generic material from each of the companies websites). DA's are available, and overkill. I don't use them on my car, and I own a set of them FWIW.

Bilstein's at this time are something you can forget about for a number of reasons. HD's have never been right for lowering springs. They were changed a few years ago now and made much worse overall, especially for lowering springs. And they aren't even available at this time. So that's 3-strike's and they're out.

I also sell Bilstein, KYB, Tokico, among others, so my statements are not based upon what I can sell you. They are all lines I carry, for me it's about what works the best for a given situation.
So you are saying without going up to full drag race coil overs like QA1's, the Koni's would be the best route to go? I was thinking Koni double adjustable.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can't get more different than QA1's and Koni's. If you are looking to control those springs, and want the car to ride and handle as it should, QA1's aren't what you are after.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

You can't get more different than QA1's and Koni's. If you are looking to control those springs, and want the car to ride and handle as it should, QA1's aren't what you are after.
Ok so if I do want to control my spring and want the car to ride and handle as it should nice or better than stock but not full out race style then what am I after?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BAD WS6
Ok so if I do want to control my spring and want the car to ride and handle as it should nice or better than stock but not full out race style then what am I after?
You are after high quality, control oriented shocks. In this case, that'd be Koni's. The springs have an effect too, and I have no idea if you have springs already or are simply looking at BMR's. The ultimate rates of ours are slightly less, and ours do not change rate through the travel, which is what we want because the shock is a damper of the spring and when the spring rate varies the shock does not match it well all the time. Our also weigh a little less too.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have had good results/feedback with using the Tokico's. They are a good performing all around shock that doesn't break the bank.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

You are after high quality, control oriented shocks. In this case, that'd be Koni's. The springs have an effect too, and I have no idea if you have springs already or are simply looking at BMR's. The ultimate rates of ours are slightly less, and ours do not change rate through the travel, which is what we want because the shock is a damper of the spring and when the spring rate varies the shock does not match it well all the time. Our also weigh a little less too.
Yes I already have 1" drop BMR springs. So whatever shock works best with them is what I want.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
We have had good results/feedback with using the Tokico's. They are a good performing all around shock that doesn't break the bank.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
I did notice they are cheaper and if they are pretty good and better than Bilstein like I hear they are then maybe they are the way to go if they work well with the BMR springs I have.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Koni's are hands down the best shock for any lowering spring. and there not just a race shock, there a great all around shock
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rocket22
Koni's are hands down the best shock for any lowering spring. and there not just a race shock, there a great all around shock
They have been the ones I have been leaning towards more without spending an arm and a leg for QA1s.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They have been the ones I have been leaning towards more without spending an arm and a leg for QA1s.
I think you're still a little confused. The QA1s are drag shocks, and if you want handling/good ride, those are the last kind of shocks to be looking at. They are built to transfer weight to the rear of the car quickly, thats terrible for handling, and the ride will be floaty/disconnected. Koni's, on the other hand are built to control the spring and car movement, not sloppily letting the weight go where it wants.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I think you're still a little confused. The QA1s are drag shocks, and if you want handling/good ride, those are the last kind of shocks to be looking at. They are built to transfer weight to the rear of the car quickly, thats terrible for handling, and the ride will be floaty/disconnected. Koni's, on the other hand are built to control the spring and car movement, not sloppily letting the weight go where it wants.
I am not confused. I think I am going to go with Koni double adjustable.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you are confused, I'd highly recommend trying something like calling me instead of relying on some forums and e-mail which can be very confusing.

If you opt for DA's, IMHO you'll be overspending by a huge margin. Koni's=yes. DA's=not recommended, at least by me. And you have more than one choice of SA's.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

I am not confused. I think I am going to go with Koni double adjustable.
Dude what do you rather do with your car, 1/4 or twisties?

You can't have both.

Do NOT buy Koni DA's, take it from someone who owns a set???

Those are shocks that is used primarily for road-racing, OVERKILL for the street. Trust me, you WILL NOT need to have these shocks for street purposes...Unless you're going to road-race AND you're planning on going all the way and set them up for the particular tracks that you are going to...Are you going to do this?

If not, then you're wasting your money, get the Koni SA's.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

If you are confused, I'd highly recommend trying something like calling me instead of relying on some forums and e-mail which can be very confusing.

If you opt for DA's, IMHO you'll be overspending by a huge margin. Koni's=yes. DA's=not recommended, at least by me. And you have more than one choice of SA's.
I'm not confused.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Dude what do you rather do with your car, 1/4 or twisties?

You can't have both.

Do NOT buy Koni DA's, take it from someone who owns a set???

Those are shocks that is used primarily for road-racing, OVERKILL for the street. Trust me, you WILL NOT need to have these shocks for street purposes...Unless you're going to road-race AND you're planning on going all the way and set them up for the particular tracks that you are going to...Are you going to do this?

If not, then you're wasting your money, get the Koni SA's.
Ok that's what I was starting to think as well so I was starting to tell my self to get the single adjustable ones also. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Ok that's what I was starting to think as well so I was starting to tell my self to get the single adjustable ones also. Thanks.
You're welcome.

FWIW, I talked to Sam first and he TOLD me to get the SA's, I didn't listen to him and guess what? I should have.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: > Best monotube shock for BMR lowering springs?