Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

At the end of the track.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default At the end of the track.......

Well at the end of the track when i hit my brakes it's like the car want's to shift or turn to the right. This only happens the first time i hit the brakes though. This never happend to me before i had the suspension "tweeked" at a local place here. ( I had the car weighed and stuff like that) The guy that set the suspension up is a really reputiable man here in Mobile. The car takes off a lot harder and straight too. It's just the part at the end of the track that's a little scary! Any ideas of what might be causing this to this?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the back moving or the front (can you tell)?

I'd start by checking all the brakes and making sure nothing is bound up (slider pins, or anything stuck on a set of drag brakes if you're running them). Look at the pads for even wear, that's a good clue in many cases. Is one rotor or one side of one rotor dark black/purple or blue? If so, that's probably the side that you want to look at, it could be dragging.

Are you running an airbag in the right rear? If the axle isn't flat on the ground (evenly loaded is a better way to say that) in the rear, it can "walk" under braking due to uneven load on the wheels.

Just my first few thoughts thinking out loud.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No no airbags. QA1's. It only started to do this after i had the suspensions messed with. That's dinda what im thinking.....the car is taking off so had out of the hole and is walking the rear end around and after i hit the brakes the first time it straightens back up?????
Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have polyurethane bushings in your rear suspension arms (LCA's, PHB?)? If so, make sure none of them are cracked and allowing the bolt to move out of position relative to the bushing. If one side is walking forward, hitting the brakes will make the car do funny things and then once it's back in place for the second application of the brakes, the car will go straight. It's one more thing to check. A bad PHB bushing could do it too, not just the LCA's. If it's letting the axle shift sideways, you'll get some funny things going on under braking. I'd check them all.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, i haven't thought of checking those yet!! I will check those next. Any other ideas?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02' hawk
Yea, i haven't thought of checking those yet!! I will check those next. Any other ideas?
Start with the bushings and let us know what you find.