Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

strut tower brace and sub frame connectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut tower brace and sub frame connectors

i just bought umi strut tower brace and umi subframe connectors. how much will the help with body roll and overall ride??
Old 12-12-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Im wondering the same. I just purchased the same package from sam strano last night.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

Well i have heard that the sub connectors will help strengthen up the chassis. Some people say the sub connectors are one of the first things we should put in ours. I don't have one yet, but you amde a great choice by going with UMI. TTT, hopefully someone can answer your question better than i can.
-Joel
Old 12-13-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

neither should help body roll.

just frame rigidity.

should notice the car being more stable in corners and on uneven road.

after my sfc install i actually thought the car rode rougher, now that the frame didn't flex, the shortcomings of the stock suspension was showing through.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^What he said, If you want to get rid of body roll get sway bars.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The answer is..... you'll have to see for yourself.

Tightening the chassis does NOT change the amount body roll. Some claim the car rides better, some claim it rides worse. Both can be true, particually when the shocks on the car aren't very good because they let impacts get to the unibody that really should not.

These items are NOT bad things to have. I don't hardly ever do them first because I feel there are bigger fish to fry. This case is a prime example. You seem to be unhappy with the body roll. My first question to folks on the phone is simple. Are you unhappy with the actual amount of roll, the RATE of the roll, or both? And we go with parts accordingly. You'd be amazed how often it's roll rate more than roll amount that annoys folks, which is why when I set folks up with shocks only a common reaction is "it rolls a lot less", when in reality it does not. Shocks do not limit roll, but can really slow roll rate which tricks the mind into thinking you have less when in fact it's just a lot more controlled and violent.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

All your doing with those parts is making your chassis les prone to flex. you won't notice a difference in body roll, and your ride will become much worse (or at least mine did). The purpose of these items is to prepare your chassis for some serious suspension mods... which i assume is in your future. Assuming your sig is acurate, and you make 480-510HP, (which is a little odd because i see a bunch of bolton mods listed in your sig but no aggressive head/cam combo) then these mods will help your chassis resist flexing on a hard launch on the track.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Well hopefully ill be ordering the konis/stranos soon to soften the ride a bit.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RareBreed0295
Well hopefully ill be ordering the konis/stranos soon to soften the ride a bit.
You will love that combo
Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Subframes in my convertible totally changed the way the car behaved as far as rigidity was concerned. However body roll was overlooked. But that is why the subframes are chassis mods and shocks/springs are suspension mods. I can say that I am pleased with my addition of subframes as I have no roof and my chassis had a lot of flex to it. If you're looking for solving a body roll issue, get in touch with Sam, he'll steer you the right way.

However if you want to be steered the wrong way feel free to ask me for any information.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

How much will the strano/koni setup affect my taking off? Will it help me launch quicker? The car is a M6.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

My stuff is not drag race oriented. However, I don't run really stiff rear springs, and I don't lower the car to the ground, both of which help maintain some rear traction. I wouldn't run around saying the car will launch better as that's not it's job. I will say, with confidence, that it shouldn't launch worse and could be better. Launching uses other parts and takes a lot of other factors in like the tires, the surface, the TA, the LCA's, the LCA angle, etc. etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: strut tower brace and sub frame connectors