Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Have Intrax Springs, what shocks to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Have Intrax Springs, what shocks to use?

I am running stock shocks with Intrax lowering springs. The car is 2" lowered, and that is about 1/2" too much for me; and she rides like a buggy! Anyone think I can get by just replacing shocks? If so, what is a favorite on a limited budget (used OK, maybe $200?) BTW, daily driver, never on track.

Last edited by Raleigh TA; 12-15-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lowering the car that much has left you with basically no options with your budget...you've eliminated too much of your suspension travel, so the shock just won't have enough time to work its magic before you go hitting the bump stops.

If that is your budget, it might be wiser to get a better set of springs.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Default Rears only

What would happen if I just replaced the rear shocks? That is where I feel the harshness of the bumps. What shock might give the best bang for the buck in the rear? Is it as big a job to swap them out as the springs were?

Last edited by Raleigh TA; 12-17-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
What would happen if I just replaced the rear shocks? That is where I feel the harshness of the bumps. What shock might give the best bang for the buck in the rear? Is it as big a job to swap them out as the springs were?
That's where the springs are having the worst affect simply due to you riding the bump stops all the time. No shock in the world can fix that...go look how close the axle tube is to the bump stop in the rear and you'll understand why.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Rear shocks could help (won't hurt), It's literally 4 nuts to get them off, about the same work you did with the rear springs.

But MeentSS02 is correct in that a shock can't take over a spring's job. Too low a ride height or not enough spring to keep you from just slamming onto the stops isn't something a shock can stop. It can help because they can slow the speed you hit at, which is part of their job.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Default Stock spring cut

Thanks for the info guys!
I am thinking about cutting my stock springs and reinstalling them for a shorter term fix. Any idea how much to cut for a 1.5" drop.

Quick Reply: Have Intrax Springs, what shocks to use?