Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installed bunch of umi parts: big thumbs up

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installed bunch of umi parts: big thumbs up

I bought a panhard bar,rear control arms,3 point sfc's and a front strut brace.

the install took about an hour from the time I drove up on the ramps till we put it on the ground. everything went so smooth......

it's a completely different car know. the rear end no longer feels like it's floating.

it'll still spin as I approach 4500k in 1st and still gets alittle sideways after ripping 2nd. but it's a much more controlled "slide". I couldn't be more happier with the umi products.

I was just reading about some issues with adjustable T/A's from umi and bmr.

anybody have a sphoon T/A with the drive shaft loop and the above umi products ? if so how was the install? once I finish the T/A then I'll do the longtubes. but I want to buy the best T/A that will let the longtubes go in with out a problem/ work with a 9", and have a drive shaft loop.

if I run into any problems like the thread recently posted I will just send it back. however I want to avoid that at all means and want everything to just "bolt-up" like the rest of the umi stuff I just bought.

any input would be great + or -

thanks
matt
Old 12-16-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did those 3 point sfc's weigh? And also why did you opt for those over the 2 point versions out of curiosity..
Old 12-16-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

as far as the weight I'm not really sure. I know that everything weighed like 75 lbs. shipped.

I decided to go with the 3 point sfc's for one reason, "triangles are tough". I learned that a long time ago when I started machining/welding. the added weight, maybe 7 -10 lbs. extra you add by having the sfc's triangluated was no big deal to me. I'll take strength over weight savings any day.

it's what 100lbs=.1 in the 1/4

so the added weight means I'll be .01 slower then if I had the normal sfc's on there. I can live with that, besides I figured once I get the chassis mounted T/A the whole under side of the car will be one big brace.

thats what I was thinking anyway.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

i have all of those pieces and they rock, another big ups to umi
Old 12-17-2007, 01:00 AM
11 Second Club

I had a few issues...but i believe it was an isolated incident. Damn 9in went in without a problem..so something had to go wrong. After we bolted everything up I noticed the square tubing to the DS loop was hitting a balancer on my DS, So we shimmed it down out of the way and now the square tubing is laying on the y pipe, but im suspecting a crappy custom y pipe is the problem. as to why the drive shaft was hitting the DS loop bracket... dunno.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:19 AM
TECH Resident

congrats on the set-up, i opted for the 3point because it ties up the car from side to side...you can tell instantly how more rigid it is in turns, i freaking love them!!

Quick Reply: installed bunch of umi parts: big thumbs up